SBS 2003 and beyond

Dec 24 2011   9:30PM GMT

Defragging a Exchange 2010 SP1 Database Part 1

Roger Crawford Roger Crawford Profile: Roger Crawford

We had our email users basically out of control with the email they stored in the mailboxes on our Exchange 2010 SP1 Server and they was from 100M to 10 Gig in mailbox sizes. So we made the decision to implement some changes and add some Retention Policies for the Sent Items and Deleted items folders and mailbox sizes. We have the sent and deleted items deleting every 7 days and we limited the users to a 1.5 Gig Mailbox size. That is still a pretty big mailbox but we let the COO clean up his mailbox and then we seen what it was and then we added a but for fudge factor and went with that. I know very scientific but if anyone wanted to know how we found that magic number we pointed out how we did it and went from there. Basically it was buy another HP MSA or do the limits and we went with these limits and we can live with that.

I then created 3 databases and moved the users into the departments Exchange Databases and left the users who got the Double Secert Allowances to have a larger mailbox on the default database. But that left me with a Database that was 200 Gig and full of whitespace. So this is what I did to correct that and to shrink that database down to the size it should be.

Til Later Just Roger

 Comment on this Post

There was an error processing your information. Please try again later.
Thanks. We'll let you know when a new response is added.
Send me notifications when other members comment.

Forgot Password

No problem! Submit your e-mail address below. We'll send you an e-mail containing your password.

Your password has been sent to:

Share this item with your network: