RTFM Education – Virtualization, VMware, Citrix

Aug 9 2011   11:35AM GMT

Resetting Orange HomePlug Devices [AKA Devolo]

Michelle Laverick Michelle Laverick Profile: Michelle Laverick

I have two DLAN devices on my home network. They are branded as Orange HomePlug, but learned today they are actually rebrands Devolo dLAN units. A couple of weeks ago they gave up the ghost and stopped communicating.

I have one plugged into my WiFi router at the ground floor of my house, and one on the top floor my house where my home lab resides – because of the logistics these ethernet over power units seemed a better solution than dangling a very long ethernet down the length of the house – and I can’t relocate the wifi unti.

Anyway, after googling (http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1161996-homeplug-issue.html), led me to download the Apple Mac utility for handling the devices – and also the driver update. The Apple Mac utility basically allowed me to re-pair the two plugs together by setting a secure password for them communicate. This is something the would normally do out of the box with no manual intervention. So basically this utility was used as a frig to get them talking again.

The first adapter it found on the network…

and the second had to be added in by its unique ID printed on the plug itself…

Once they had been found and new password had been set they began to chat with each other. Intermittently. I noticed on the Devolo site there was firmware update, so I decided to apply that. That was a little bit tricker. Firstly, the update only works in Windows. So I had fire up my Windows VM in VMware Fusion, and then plug the plug directly into the Ethernet connector on the MBP. Then using Fusions network controls, I turned off autodetect option to make sure the only thing the Windows VM could see was the on-board MBP nic, rather than the WiFi. Applying the update was nothing more than running the installer…

Since then these unit have begun working again without any glitches for about 2hrs. It’s all very odd given there was no problems for about 3-months, and then they stopped working altogether. I’m wondering if some sort of power problem caused them to pack up. We did have dodgy kettle trip the main fuse to the house – and perhaps that power outage had upset them somehow…

 Comment on this Post

 
There was an error processing your information. Please try again later.
Thanks. We'll let you know when a new response is added.
Send me notifications when other members comment.

Forgot Password

No problem! Submit your e-mail address below. We'll send you an e-mail containing your password.

Your password has been sent to:

Share this item with your network: