Requirements Change management if managed haphazardly may become a disaster for both customer and the product, so it has to be managed very wisely and tactically. And the role of a project manager in this is very crucial.
In such a case the role of Project Manager can be sequentially summarized as below:
10. He has to understand well the total requirements of the customer
9. He has to map these requirements in the software already catering to other customers
8. This way he will be able to find out and check what is the impact of these requirements on the software?
7. He also has to check out if some practices already built in the software are better than what the customer is asking for?
6. He has to revert back to customer to discuss (and rather educate him) the benefits of adopting the practices already built in over the changes asked for
5. Customer might agree to some, and might still ask for the changes at certain places
4. Now the project manager has to sit with his product manager to convince him to incorporate these changes
3. Understand the impact of these changes and get back to customer if there is any adverse effect
2. Finally get those changes incorporated in the software
1. But don’t assume that the story is over…