I’ve noticed that in the past few months, quite a few machines would stop updating. Reviewing the WindowsUpdate.Log file showed that the client detected updates, but would never notify the user nor apply the updates. I’m pretty sure it is a specific update that is causing the problem as almost every new machine we build gets “hung”.
The solution I’ve found is to clear the SoftwareDistribution folder AND the registry.
Here’s a script that I have to automate things:
net stop wuauserv
REG DELETE "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate" /va /f
del /q/s c:\windows\softwaredistribution
net start wuauserv
wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow
It generally takes an additional “wuauclt /detectnow” to really get things back to work, but only if I’m in a hurry to get the machine up-to-date.
Give it a try and see if it works for you.