It is my opinion that what should I look for a software tester !
1. The right fit :First of all, it is important that each tester be the right fit for your organization. You want your employees to understand and feel good about your corporate culture. A happy employee is an effective employee.
2. Product knowledge an asset, but not mandatory :Although product knowledge is definitely an asset, it is not a definitive, fixed requirement. Structured software testing is based on processes and it is more important that the software tester be familiar with structured testing principles than to have product knowledge. Software testing techniques can be applied to any software.
3. Strong analytical skills :It is very important for any software tester to have strong analytical skills. As stated earlier, any tester can acquire product knowledge, but strong analytical skills are a must. A good software tester must understand the processes of the computer software, and should be able to analyze cause and effect with ease.
4. Strong communicative skills :Another important skill is the ability to communicate with management, developers, the other test team members, and other stakeholders. The software tester should have strong written and oral communication skills, in order to report the results of the testing process effectively. The tester should be able to differentiate the different levels of communication. For example management may not be interested in the details of every defect that has been located. They are interested in the overall quality of a release and when the release can go in production. Another example is that your developers do not appreciate it when you come up to them asserting that they made a mistake. The mistake you are pointing out may actually be an inconsistency in the specifications, or a change in the test environment. Strong communication skills are particularly important for the success of the testing project.
5. Knowledge of structured test methodology :A good software tester can use their knowledge of structured testing, and apply it to any software product and software testing project. A tester with a sound foundation of structured software testing can work on your software applications.
6. Knowledge of automated test tools :If your company is currently using a test tool, you will want your testers to be able to effectively use this tool. If you are presently not using an automated tool, a tester with automated test tool knowledge and / or experience may be able to indicate the benefits of an automated test tool for your specific testing processes. Therefore, it is definitely an asset if your testers have basic or extensive knowledge of automated test tools.
7. Team player :Software testers must be team players. Software testing is only a small division of a larger part of the organization and you want your testers to be able to understand this and act accordingly. Your testers will need to be able to work together with other stakeholders in the best interest of the overall company.
8. Persistent (but not stubborn!) :Software testers must be able to track down variances in the testing results. If a variance happens, they must retest to decipher exactly at which step the variance occurred.
9. Sense of humor :In stressful situations it is important to keep a sense of humor. When the testing project is under pressure, the testers work hard to get the test cases finished and then sometimes it turns out an incorrect version was put on the testing environment! Of course this is not an ideal situation, but it does happen quite often, and really, all you can do is keep a keen sense of humor and keep going.
10. Stress proof :The testing time line often gets squeezed when development takes longer than expected and the implementation date cannot shift. This results in stressful times for the testing team. A good tester will remain calm, prioritize the test cases, and do as good a job as possible.
Good Luck !