Trouble deleting Windows Server 2012 R2 checkpoints

5 pts.
Tags:
Virtualization
Windows Server 2012 R2

I’m having an issue where a client has 50 checkpoints in Windows Server 2012 r2. The last 47 of them are “recovery checkpoints” and there isn’t even an option to delete them. I found an article that allows you to modify it from a recovery checkpoint to a standard by modify the XML file.

I followed the instructions to change a checkpoint from a recovery checkpoint to a regular one. I got the option to delete the checkpoint and it failed with a Catastrophic error 0x8000FFFF.

Looking at the snapshot xml files I think I figured out the problem but I’m a little leary to change it without discussing it first. I believe that after the first few snapshots the snapshot list order changes.

The first snapshot is: 098AA005-FD8C-4194-9EEE-C52142CEAA6F

The snapshot section lists it as “0” in the list:

-<snapshots>

<backed_up type="bool">True</backed_up>

-<list>

<size type="integer">0</size>

</list>

<type type="integer">2</type>

</snapshots>

The next snapshot is: 0284F644-7AC0-4D0B-86F1-0D73BEB6AA0A

This is correctly listed as “1” in the chain with node 0 listed correctly

-<snapshots>

<backed_up type="bool">True</backed_up>

-<list>

-<node0>

<guid type="string">098AA005-FD8C-4194-9EEE-C52142CEAA6F</guid>

</node0>

<size type="integer">1</size>

</list>

<type type="integer">2</type>

</snapshots>

The next snapshot is: EC10F0D5-2C43-4DB5-975B-28873291CF1E

Here it lists itself correctly as “2” in the chain BUT it seems to have swapped the previous 2 nodes listing 0284F644-7AC0-4D0B-86F1-0D73BEB6AA0A as node 0, and 098AA005-FD8C-4194-9EEE-C52142CEAA6F as node 1.

-<snapshots>

<backed_up type="bool">True</backed_up>

-<list>

-<node0>

<guid type="string">0284F644-7AC0-4D0B-86F1-0D73BEB6AA0A</guid>

</node0>

-<node1>

<guid type="string">098AA005-FD8C-4194-9EEE-C52142CEAA6F</guid>

</node1>

<size type="integer">2</size>

</list>

<type type="integer">2</type>

</snapshots>

The next snapshot is: 37FACF2C-74E9-42F6-B9C7-5FABC7ECF70C

Again listed itself correctly as number “3”in the list BUT the first two are swapped.

-<snapshots>

<backed_up type="bool">True</backed_up>

-<list>

-<node0>

<guid type="string">0284F644-7AC0-4D0B-86F1-0D73BEB6AA0A</guid>

</node0>

-<node1>

<guid type="string">098AA005-FD8C-4194-9EEE-C52142CEAA6F</guid>

</node1>

-<node2>

<guid type="string">EC10F0D5-2C43-4DB5-975B-28873291CF1E</guid>

</node2>

<size type="integer">3</size>

</list>

<type type="integer">32768</type>

</snapshots>

This continues throughout all 50 files. The question is should I modify all the files to make them correct?



Software/Hardware used:
server 2012 r2 (essentials)
0

Answer Wiki

Thanks. We'll let you know when a new response is added.
Send me notifications when members answer or reply to this question.

Discuss This Question:  

 
There was an error processing your information. Please try again later.
Thanks. We'll let you know when a new response is added.
Send me notifications when members answer or reply to this question.

Forgot Password

No problem! Submit your e-mail address below. We'll send you an e-mail containing your password.

Your password has been sent to:

To follow this tag...

There was an error processing your information. Please try again later.

Thanks! We'll email you when relevant content is added and updated.

Following

Share this item with your network: