I'm trying to setup my own dropbox system (for private use).
I know what I want, but I don't know how I can make it work. I'm 'comfortable' with some technical things, but I'm no tech-genius, so setting up linux servers etc. is not something I can do :) Would be lovely if you could help me out with an easy integrated solution!
First of all, I want to buy a new external HD (I think 1TB is sufficient) and add it to my network. I have no prefence for HDs, so I'm open for suggestions. The HD will be put in my living room under the television set next to my router, so there are three things important:
2. Large storagespace
3. possibilitie to hook it up to my router (no USB entrance)
The 'dropbox' should act as
1. External HD (store files on HD)
2. Backup HD (synchronization PC<->HD folders) And should be accessible 1. Directly (cable, full access) 2. Via the internal network (no access rights required)
3. Online/internet but directly in 'explorer' (without going through a browser) (access rights if possible)
=> I never delete anything on my working PC, I always put everything in a '99 Archive' folder, but the HD of my work PC is getting crowded, so I would like to put all my 99 Archive folders on the external HD
=> If possible, I would like to grant access to some folders to other people (my friends, girlfriend, ...) without them having to see my working folders
4. Via ipad/iphone (apps)
5. Via my (yet to be bought) TV
I found a good solution on http://www.theinternetpatrol.com/how-to-create-your-own-free-online-backup-solution/ but as I understand there is no explorer integration if you are accessing it 'online'. You always need to go via a internet browser, and that makes it 'not so userfriendly', so I'm pretty sure that I won't use it that way. I want to drop things in, like the dropbox functionalitie.
Could you help me out and see which systeem/setup would best fit my description? Thx!