Hmmm… I’m not sure if this will work due to the nature of Word, but try this:
1) Put the calendar document in its own directory
2) Make all the calendar users (read only folks) members
of a Calendar Reader group
3) Make the secretary who maintains the calendar the sole
member of a Calendar Maint group
4) Grant read-only privileges at the directory AND
document levels to the Calendar Reader group
5) Grant read/write/create/delete (just short of Full
Control) rights to the Calendar Maint group at the
directory and file level.
It’s been a while since I’ve fooled around with access rights, but I think you can see where I’m going. You want to force everyone into READ-ONLY mode for that document except the person who maintains it. I think this will accomplish that, but you never know.
If it doesn’t work, you need to get these people to accept a calendaring tool such as in Outlook.
Maybe there’s a calendar-only application out there you could use, but the current method is nuts.
Hopefully my suggestion will work.