os 7.2 migration on power 6 ibmi box

95 pts.
Tags:
IBM
does it make sense to upgrade to ibmi 7.2 whilst still on power 6 box
0

Answer Wiki

Thanks. We'll let you know when a new response is added.
Send me notifications when members answer or reply to this question.

Discuss This Question: 10  Replies

 
There was an error processing your information. Please try again later.
Thanks. We'll let you know when a new response is added.
Send me notifications when members answer or reply to this question.
  • TheRealRaven
    It should've been done a couple years ago. But the sooner the better now. Note that 7.2 will be the final release for POWER6 systems. Upgrade before support is dropped.
    34,465 pointsBadges:
    report
  • ToddN2000
    I'd say it depends on your budget. Why spend money on an upgrade that is near it's end of life support.  Look into a new machine and OS that will buy you a lot more years of use then having to go through it twice in a relatively short period.
    131,645 pointsBadges:
    report
  • junekotey
    Thanks for your input..
    95 pointsBadges:
    report
  • TheRealRaven
    There shouldn't be much cost (if any) to upgrade unless you haven't kept a support contract. If you have no support contract, it indeed might not be worth ordering IBM i 7.2. If it can be reasonably afforded, a new box with a more current OS would be advised. (There's a small chance it could even cost less.)

    But if you're on support, upgrading the current box is probably the best choice; and there should be no extra cost to do so other than the cost of some time to do the work.
    34,465 pointsBadges:
    report
  • Subhendu Sen
    Upgrade is always better. This can help to troubleshoot problems more quickly. And always there will be a great support from the original vendor if the system is based on new version/ update. Though it may be not required, however for new hardware, you must check before going to upgrade.
    137,090 pointsBadges:
    report
  • junekotey
    Sadly the cost of moving to a power8/9 and upgrading to 7.3/7.4has ballooned Due to 3 party software on the box which we take a hefty hit in price to migrate. So for now staying on power 6 and upgrade software to the most it can take which is the 7.2....
    95 pointsBadges:
    report
  • ToddN2000
    @junekotey: If your current box supports it and the cost to migrate over will cause headaches with your 3rd party software and other financial reasons, then it sounds like you have thought this through. Just keep in mind that eventually the demands of your 3rd party software may require the upgrade new a more powerful machine. You could always check with your 3rd party software vendors and see if they have anything new in near future that will require a system upgrade and base your decision on doing an upgrade now and another down the road or just wait a bit and do the one upgrade..What 3rd party software is your concern about ? 
    131,645 pointsBadges:
    report
  • junekotey
    We use KBM..a manufacturing erp..Thanks all for chiming in.
    95 pointsBadges:
    report
  • Subhendu Sen
    If your current setup or environment supports that what you need today then why are you opting for that? Just stick with your current setup & this may be a wise decision for this time. However upgrade is always recommended but not compulsory.
    137,090 pointsBadges:
    report
  • junekotey
    Well said all....good points all around of note
    95 pointsBadges:
    report

Forgot Password

No problem! Submit your e-mail address below. We'll send you an e-mail containing your password.

Your password has been sent to:

To follow this tag...

There was an error processing your information. Please try again later.

Thanks! We'll email you when relevant content is added and updated.

Following

Share this item with your network: