Determining Remote Licensing Mode
To determine a remote computer’s licensing mode (as well as local computer), start the License Manager and do the following:
1. Select the Server Browser tab.
2. Select domain and server.
3. If the icon displayed is a computer with a file and no CRT, then the computer is running in the Per Server mode. If the icon displayed is a computer with a file and a CRT, then computer is running in the Per Seat mode. Double-clicking on these icons allows you to change the licensing mode and edit the product properties.
Alternate Method of Determining Licensing Mode
An alternate way of determining which license mode a computer is running both locally and remotely is to do the following:
1. Select the Products View tab.
2. Select the Product from the list.
3. Select the Server Browser tab.
4. Select the computer from the list. It displays the licensing mode the computer is running in specific to this product.
To Convert from Per-Server Licensing to Per-Seat Licensing
1. In Control Panel, double-click Licensing.
2. In the Choose Licensing Mode dialog box, click Per Device or click Per User in Windows Server 2003. Click Per Seat or Per Server in Windows 2000 Server.
3. You may receive the following error message:
You have requested a change that may violate the license agreement. The License for a one-time change from a Per Server to a Per Device or Per User configuration. Do you want to cancel this request?
You can click Yes to cancel, or click No to continue.
4. Click No to continue.
5. In the window that opens, the following information is displayed in Windows Server 2003:
Per Device or Per User Licensing
If you have not purchased a client access license for every computer that will access windows server, you must purchase them prior to using Windows Server.
For complete terms and conditions governing the use of this product, see license agreements, which can be found under help.
I agree that:
I have read and agreed to be bound by the license agreements
for this product.
If you agree, click to select the I agree check box, and then click OK. In Windows 2000 Server, the information will say “Per Server or Per Seat” instead of “Per Device or Per User.”