Use the Excel Add-in that’s included with the iSeries Client Access for Windows software.
You get a cool little icon on your Excel tool bar for uploads and downloads.
But I agree the ODBC connection option’s offer you much more features.
If Microsoft Excel was installed on your PC after Client Access Express, do the following:
- Ensure that you installed Data Transfer Excel Add-in support when you installed Client Access Express. This support is installed during a typical and full installation but may not have been installed in a custom or 5250 installation.
- Open Microsoft Excel.
- Click Add-Ins from the Tools menu.
- Click the Browse button.
- Locate the path where Client Access Express was installed.
- Double-click on the shared folder.
- Double-click on the cwbtfxla file.
- Click OK.
Now you can click on the data transfer toolbar icon that appears on your Microsoft Excel toolbar. You can also run a data transfer request by selecting Transfer Data From AS/400 from the Data menu.