when relevant content is
added and updated.
As Computer Weekly trawls the archives, Downtime has dug up a number of tech turds – the kind of things they wish they’d never said.
But like Dory, IT has a tendency to forget.
- So 16 years after Windows 95 claimed it had got rid of the command line prompt, there’s still one on Windows 10.
- Java claims- write once run anywhere – apart from on almost every current internet browser (except Firefox).
- Macs don’t get viruses – that is until enough people bought Mac Book Airs to make it worthwhile hacking them.
- Saas – Industry pundits reckon it is a revolution, but remember Application Service Providers, the big buzz in the late 1990s, and how about bureau services in the 1960s and 70s?
- Service oriented architecture: in the Noughties, the whole industry seemed to have caught the Enterprise Service Bus and hoovered up SOA party poppers . But where are they now?
How quickly the IT industry forgets and, like Dory, Downtime can’t recall anymore IT turds at the moment.