Which AS/400 Batch Jobs are currently running?

Profile: James2000k
Tags:
AS/400
AS/400 batch job
I wanted to know how to make sense of the acronyms placed on jobs running and how can you tell which one is currently running. I also want to know how to safely stop jobs and is there any harm in stopping jobs.

6 Replies to this discussion

There was an error processing your information. Please try again later.
Thanks. We'll let you know when a new response is added.
Send me notifications when other members reply.
  • bobcourier
    just  key WRKACTJOBS
    35 pointsBadges:
  • ToddN2000
    Use WRKACTJOB then go the the column in question and press the help for an explination.
    125,720 pointsBadges:
  • James2000k
    I just tried that but because i don't want to play around to much in the system and hit a key to cause a chain reaction. Can you just explain when looking at the active job screen how can you tell which one is being processed.

Also what are the commonly used commands for issues that users such as the ones below.  Can you tell me which commands you would use to resolve each of the issues below

How do you troubleshoot "My job did not print"

Or "My print job never came out"

Or I accidentally ran 3 reports a thousand pages each"
    15 pointsBadges:
  • dino007

How did my users get at your place?  Only kidding.

If I understand your question, generally speaking acronyms are three letter.  dsp - display  wrk- work  act-active  usr-user  etc.

Google   Common AS/400 commands or common ISeries commands

wrkusrprf (Work User Profile) to reset password and enable users.

wrksplf (Work Spool File)  enter user's name or *all   Usually my experience has been the printer is out of paper or printout on hold.

wrkdevd (Work Device Description) Users will vary off the workstation.

Wrkactjob - (Work Active Jobs) I would not recommend interrupting any job starting with Q.  Unless you have an excellent reason.  Those are IBM jobs. As far as your systems jobs..sales, invoicing, must gain knowledge of what they do. 

wrkobjlck - (Work Object Lock) Generally two or more users trying to update the same record. Get one of them to back out of the task.

Unfortunately stopping jobs can be risky. Must understand the consequences and perhaps how to safely restart the job.  I seldom cancel a job. If you have an in house programmer, they might be able to guide you. 

3000 pages - Wrksplf and the user name.  If you are fast enough or the printer is slow enough you might be able to place on hold or delete.

We also have posted instructions for deleting a printouts above our Canon printers.  The AS400 sends so quickly, you may be able to delete it from the printer side.

If they turn the printer off or pull out the paper drawer you'll probably have jams. 

Wrksplf and then delete or hold the printout. 

Under wrkactjob F11  Under Type F1. 

Hope this helps you. 

130 pointsBadges:
  • ToddN2000
    If you are new to operations, the command listed in the last post are helpful. Remember you can always enter the command and prompt it (F4)  then go to the heading on the screen and press ALT+F1 to get a better description..
    As for the WRKACTJOB screen  they TYPE and STATUS columns are your best bet to know what is going on.

DO a WRKACTJOB then 
    ALT+F1 on 1st row on TYPE

The type of active job.  Possible
    values are:                      
    o  ASJ: Autostart               
    o  BCH: Batch                   
    o  BCI: Batch Immediate         
    o  EVK: Started by a procedure start request                
    o  INT: Interactive             
    o  M36: Advanced 36 server job     
    o  MRT: Multiple requester terminal
    o  PJ:  Prestart job               
    o  PDJ: Print driver job           
    o  RDR: Reader                     
    o  SBS: Subsystem monitor          
    o  SYS: System                     
    o  WTR: Writer  

If a minus(-) sign is displayed     
    after the type, the job needs a user
    authorization but none are currently
    available.        

ALT+F1 on 1st row on STATUS

The status of the initial thread of the job.  Only one
    status is displayed per job.  A blank status field    
    represents an initial thread that is in transition.   

It list about 70 different statuses and I did not want to post them all here
    125,720 pointsBadges:
  • ToddN2000
    I would also not stop any job unless you talk to the programmer. You want to make sure it's safe to stop and still keep data integrity. You do not want to stop it mid way through an update process.
    125,720 pointsBadges:

Forgot Password

No problem! Submit your e-mail address below. We'll send you an e-mail containing your password.

Your password has been sent to:

To follow this tag...

There was an error processing your information. Please try again later.

Thanks! We'll email you when relevant content is added and updated.

Following

Share this item with your network: