Writing for Business - A Whatis.com Blog

May 5 2009   2:47PM GMT

Which is correct – traveler or traveller?

Ivy Wigmore Ivy Wigmore Profile: Ivy Wigmore

typing Which is correct?
Location-based services can help ___________ access information about local businesses and services.
a. travelers
b. travellers

Answer: Either a or b, depending on where you are in the world.

Explanation: US style is a single l on travel when a suffix is added. UK style is to double the l.

3  Comments on this Post

There was an error processing your information. Please try again later.
Thanks. We'll let you know when a new response is added.
Send me notifications when other members comment.

REGISTER or login:

Forgot Password?
By submitting you agree to receive email from TechTarget and its partners. If you reside outside of the United States, you consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States. Privacy
  • Terencefreedman
    Maybe so, thanks to Mr Webster. But here in the UK 'b' is the answer.
    0 pointsBadges:
  • Jaeo
    Yes, here in Canada too, following UK style. We almost always double the letter "l" before “ed” or “ing.” US style seems to be inconsistent — doubled in some cases and not in others. I think I’ll edit that entry… Thanks for stopping by!
    0 pointsBadges:
  • Jaeo
    Then again, if there are two vowels in front of the "L" -- as in "healing" -- nobody doubles it.
    0 pointsBadges:

Forgot Password

No problem! Submit your e-mail address below. We'll send you an e-mail containing your password.

Your password has been sent to:

Share this item with your network: