Posted by: Ivy Wigmore
Business writing, CIO, grammar, less or fewer, percentages, Quiz
Which is correct?
If ____ than 40 percent of the households in your area have broadband service, you’re in an underserved area.
Although we think of percentages as single quantities rather than countable, when they refer to something countable — in this case, households — fewer is the correct choice. (Source: AP Stylebook)
So you would say:
- fewer than 40 percent of households
- less than 40 percent of building materials
- fewer than 40 percent of Christmas lists
- less than 40 percent of good behavior
- fewer than 40 percent of potluck dinners
- less than 40 percent of the jello mold (much less for me, thanks — is zero a percentage?)
See more about fewer vs. less and percentages.
Follow us on Twitter @tao_of_grammar