When viewing Server Manager on Windows Server 2008 we are getting a Roles: Error with error details of unexpected error refreshing Server Manager and an exception code: 0x800B0100.The fix is as follows:
1. Download System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Server 2008/Vista – http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=947821
2. The System Update Readiness Tool creates a log file with any issues the tool found or fixed.
The log file is located under: c:\windows\logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log
Checking System Update Readiness.
Checking Deployment Packages
Checking Package Manifests and catalogs.
Checking package watchlist.
Checking component watchlist.
(f) CBS MUM Missing 0×00000002 servicing\packages\Package_for_KB961260_server_0~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~126.96.36.199.mum
(f) CBS MUM Missing 0×00000002 servicing\packages\Package_for_KB961260_server~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~188.8.131.52.mum
(f) CBS MUM Missing 0×00000002 servicing\packages\Package_for_KB961260~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~184.108.40.206.mum
Checking component store
Checking SMI Store
Found 3 errors
CBS MUM Missing Total Count: 3
Based on the example this means that we are missing 3 MUM packages under c:\windows\servicing\packages
3. We locate the failed KB Update KB961260 in this example which will be different for everybody and we download it on our system
4. We rename it from .msu to .cab and we extract it to get our missing files
5. We locate the missing files and we copy them to a new folder. Most of the times at least 1 file can not be found so we have to rename the update.mum and update.cat to the missing file name
6. We select Properties of c:\windows\servicing\Packages and under Security tab we click on Advanced. On Owner tab we click on Edit and change the owner from TrustedInstaller to our account and then OK to return back to Packages Properties
7. Under Security Tab we click on Edit so we can add our account with Full control
8. Now we copy the missing files to c:\windows\servicing\Packages
9. We rerun the update until the log file does not report any more missing files
* Do not forget to assign the Package permissions back to NT SERVICE\TrustedInstaller after you finish with the updates.
Thanks IT Solutions!