We recently read a wonderful write-up on speeding up your Windows 7 box and they included other tips and hints as well. Definitely check this out before you jump on the Windows 7 Bandwagon. Check it out here.
Here is a quick snippet:
Choose Windows 7 32-bit if you have:
- 3GB or less system memory
- Dual core or single core processor
- Built in graphic card
- 250GB or less hard drive
Choose Windows 7 64-bit if you have:
- 4GB or more system memory
- i7, Dual core or Quad Core processor
- Dedicated PCI express graphic cards such as Nvidia or ATI
- 250GB or larger hard drive
Now that that’s out of the way – on we go to the good stuff…
1.0 Disable Unwanted Services
Windows 7 enables services that aren’t necessarily required by default. You can relieve a huge amount of system resources by disabling these services or setting them to “Manual mode”. Configuring a service to this setting means, it doesn’t start automatically, but rather only when it is required.