Posted by: Ed Tittel
checking recent hardware changes restores WiMax module to working order, interesting adventures navigating Dell's tech support offerings, mysterious WiMax outage on Dell M11X solved
I’m the reasonably proud owner of a Dell M11X (Alienware) mini-laptop with an i7 26xx processor, 8 GB RAM, and an OCZ Agility 3 SSD. It runs fast enough for me, and has enough horsepower to do everything I ask of it with aplomb, including some occasionally heavy-duty protocol trace capture and analysis (Wireshark rules!). But yesterday, when I turned it on, I couldn’t help but notice that its built-in Intel WiMax 6250 module had gone bye-bye.
When the laptop booted up, it reported that it couldn’t find the WiMax module. So, I ran the Intel WiMax connection utility to try to kick it into presence. No dice. Next, I read the help file to learn that I should probably duck into Programs and Features to run a “repair” operation on the WiMax connection software. And while that went without a hitch, there was still no WiMax module to be found after my next reboot.
Then, I went into Device Manager and, sure enough, no WiMax device appeared under the Network adapters heading, in contradiction to normal behavior. So I dug into the Dell Technical Support site to see if I could find any joy from their help and advice. Zilch.
After that I remembered seeing the WiMax module as I removed the unit’s conventional HD a couple of weeks ago to replace it with the SSD it’s now using. “Could I have jiggled an antenna wire, or loosening the module somehow?” I wondered out loud. Popped open the hatch, and saw nothing amiss with the WiMax 6250 module upon visual inspection but pushed on the antenna connections and made sure the module was tightly socketed anyway.
I’m not sure if this fixed the problem, or if the WiMax module had simply taken a short vacation, but when I rebooted the machine–Presto! The WiMax module appeared, and established its usual rockin’ connection to Clear Communications. Problem solved, with not too much muss or fuss, or time wasted.
What it reminded me of is the old adage about troubleshooting: always look at what else has changed recently on a system when components go kerflooey. Again, I can’t be 100% sure that opening the case and checking the WiMax module fixed my problem. But performing those actions did result in a return to normal function, so I’m not inclined to look this gift horse too deeply in the mouth.
I was kinda glad it turned out that way, because I’d started to investigate the Dell Technical Support channels I would have had to traverse had more serious fixes been required. The only phone number I could find was for premium, added-charge support. I’m not sure my same-day hardware replacement support warranty gets me that high up the food chain, and I guess I save the effort involved in climbing that learning curve for another day!