Posted by: Ed Tittel
when relevant content is
added and updated.
Earlier this afternoon, I finished a story for SearchWindowsVirtualization.com that’s currently entitled “Automation Technology in VDI Environments.” Given that it usually takes a week or two before my submissions show up online I’ll provide a link to the final version right here when it goes live (and change the title if those with editorial authority decide that something a bit different or jazzier is needed to attract reader interest). What blew me away about researching this story is the hundreds of ready-to-run scripts one can find easily online, to help automate every aspect of virtual desktop infrastructure, from initial set-up and image construction, to VM deployment, applying patches and updates, and monitoring and managing fully operational VDIs.
All you have to do to get a sense of the massive resources available for your use are to check out these mostly Hyper-V related resources online (no surprise, really, because the vast majority of these links come from Microsoft itself, in one guise or another):
- Hyper-V Scripts: A social.technet.Microsoft wiki for free PowerShell Scripts for Hyper-V; contains about 100 links to ready-to-use scripts for Hyper-V.
- Hyper-V Portal: From the same wiki, a set of resources for working with Hyper-V that includes free books, tutorials, technical info, and a whole lot more.
- Hyper-V Cmdlets in Windows PowerShell: 172 ready-to-run PowerShell scripts for most aspects of Hyper-V and VM definition, upkeep, and management.
- Script Center Gallery: Microsoft’s centralized script resources for IT professionals thousands of scripts include many relevant to Hyper-V and VDI.
- Virtualization automation with Hyper-V: Windows PowerShell Scripting (TechTarget article)
- Search on Hyper-V Scripts for more stuff than you can imagine! (Skip page 1 to get past the preceding items quickly.)
There’s lots of really great stuff here that admins are hopefully already using. If that doesn’t include you, be sure to check one or more of these items out immediately. That means today!