Microsoft CRM Email Router stops working mysteriously and then starts working again– just as mysteriously.
I’ve been doing a good deal of work with Microsoft CRM lately. Heck, I’ll say it… I’ve been doing ALL my work with Microsoft CRM lately. It’s a beast that no one here at “the office” knows about and I’ve become “The Guy”. You know what that means, scramble to stay ahead of the game and get the environment under control before it blows up in your face!
Well, recently I learned a couple things about the CRM Email router service. This post is the first thing I learned, and I found an article that states exactly what is happening:
You use the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 E-Mail Router service to process e-mail messages. After a specific period of time, the service stops processing e-mail messages. Then, after the same period of time, the service starts to process e-mail messages again.
Essentially that’s what was happening to me, CRM would send e-mail messages for about an hour then the messages would queue up for a while before being sent again. Really great when those messages are time sensitive… talk about keeping a guy up all night!
You can read all about the solution here, but basically the Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Update Rollup 1 fixes the problem, though I imagine you could adjust the ConfigUpdatePeriod mentioned in the article and get a little bit of tweaking out of it in the short term while you test the update in a non-production environment like all good systems admins do. 😉