Posted by: Jerry Lees
CDROM Tools, disk utilities, drive utilities, DVD Tools, essential tools, free software, free tools, ISO, ISO Tools, software resources, Systems administrator tools, windows tools
We’ve all had times when we needed a file from an installation CD or DVD, but only had an ISO image available on the network. So, we have to copy the image to our machine then burn the image to media– just to get the file.
There are utilities out there that do this, like Alcohol 120%, but none seem to be free and free from ads or “Value add toolbars”. (Alcoholsoft makes Alcohol 52%, but it has toolbars). I’ve recently found a free utility that does fit the bill for my free essential tools series!
The tool is Virtual CloneDrive from Slysoft. Virtual CloneDrive delivers all the functionality you need to mount an ISO as a virtual CD/DVD Drive in a small (1.86Mb for a full install) FREE package! (As a added benefit, it appears to have multi-language support as well)
Once installed it adds a Virtual CDROM drive to your system that has a menu context “Virtual CloneDrive” that gives you the Mount and unmount options, just like Alcohol 120% does. And it keeps track of your recent ISO’s like Alcohol 120% as well.
It also registers .ISO files with itself and simply double clicking on the file automatically mounts the image in your virtual drive, a nice touch.
All in all, the performance is good and the integration with windows is top notch. Give it a shot, I’m sure you’ll find it to be one of your essential tools.
Know of a tool that you think is essential? Post a comment here and if I don’t already have it in my tool belt, I’ll add it and give it a shot. If it makes the grade– I’ll add it to the list of tools to review. The only criteria are:
- The tool must be free, or inexpensive with a “Per User” or “site” type license. (No pay per installation licenses, please)
- The tool (or it’s installation file) must be small enough to fit on a 256Mb flash drive for portability.
- Command line run time options are beneficial, but not required.
- If it has ads… it needs be truly INVALUABLE.
- It should make the user’s job easier by gathering information or preforming a task that a typical Network or Systems Administrator would preform.