This podcast with Mulesource CEO Dave Rosenberg covers the role of the enterprise service bus (ESB) inside an SOA. Rosenberg notes that an ESB shouldn’t be thought of as a singular piece of software sitting in the middle of every application, tossing aside the hub-and-spoke model from the EAI world that often gets grafted onto SOA. He stresses that SOA “is not about integration,” but rather a sensible infrastructure that can handle modular development and changing business needs.
Other topics covered in this interview include:
- How users are more likely to have an “enterprise service network” with multiple ESBs rather than a single or master ESB
- The role of open source in SOA development
- Why neither the Java EE nor .NET meets are well-suited to service orientation
- The roadmap for the Mulesource, particularly in the management area
- What constitutes “SOA infrastructure”
- Data issues, including getting data out of 3rd party SaaS applications