Posted by: Eric Siebert
Eric Siebert, VMware, VMworld
Didn’t attend last year’s VMworld? Don’t worry: You can download many of the sessions for free from the VMworld website.
VMware has been gradually releasing the sessions on the website. After last year’s conference, VMware chose not to release all of the sessions to non-attendees since many of the sessions would be reused at VMworld Europe 2008. Currently 133 out of the 261 total sessions are available to watch online with 20 more sessions being offered each month up until VMworld 2008 in Las Vegas. VMware-enthusiasts can purchase a “virtual conference pass” for this year’s VMworld, which will provide full online access to sessions and labs.
The sessions reflect VMworld’s focus on enterprise virtualization, but several sessions are available on products like Workstation, Server, VDI and ACE. While some of the sessions are of technical benefit to system administrators, other sessions address topics such as business continuity, planning, business metrics and software lifecycle automation.
Of the free sessions available I’ve noted those I would recommend to system administrators who want to expand their technical knowledge. The sessions below are very good resources on understanding, troubleshooting, securing and tuning ESX and VirtualCenter.
- BC23 Bulletproof VirtualCenter
- IO19 ESX Server CPU Scheduling
- IO43 Top Support Issues and How to Solve Them – Batch 1
- IO44 Top Support Issues and How to Solve Them – Batch 2
- IO45 Tips for Troubleshooting ESX Server 3.x Faults
- TA21 Understanding “Host” and “Guest” Memory Usage
- TA37 VI3 Networking – Advanced Configurations and Troubleshooting
- TA56 Security in a Virtualized Environment
- TA57 Security Architecture Design and Hardening VI3
- TA63 Understanding Performance in a Virtualized Environment
- LAB05 Security Hardening and Monitoring of VMware Infrastructure 3
- LAB08 Troubleshooting VMware Infrastructure 3
To access the sessions, simply go to the VMworld website and create a free account. Once you have registered, click on the sessions and labs link to access the free sessions. You can even access sessions from previous years. Although they are dated, these sessions still have some good, applicable information. Once you click on a session, you can download the audio as an .mp3 file, the slides as a .pdf file or you can watch them together as a flash video.