The July edition of the Symantec Intelligence report combines research and analysis from the Symantec.cloud MessageLabs Intelligence Report, and the Symantec State of Spam & Phishing Report to provide analysis of cyber security threats, trends and insights from the Symantec Intelligence team concerning malware, spam, and other potentially harmful business risks.
Highlights from the most recent report include:
• Spam – 77.8 percent in July (an increase of 4.9 percentage points since June 2011)
• Phishing – One in 319.3 emails identified as phishing (an increase of 0.01 percentage points since June 2011)
• Malware – One in 280.9 emails in July contained malware (an increase of 0.02 percentage points since June 2011)
• Malicious Web sites – 6,797 Web sites blocked per day (an increase of 25.5 percent since June 2011)
• 35.9 percent of all malicious domains blocked were new in July (an increase of 0.8 percentage points since June 2011)
• 21.1 percent of all Web-based malware blocked was new in July (an increase of 0.8 percentage points since June 2011)
• Aggressively unstable malware leads to a rise in sophisticated socially engineered attacks
• Large scale malware attack using URL shortening services
For more details, download and read the 21-page PDF report for yourself–Symantec Intelligence Report: July 2011.