Today, March 31st, is World Backup Day 2012. The tagline reads: “Don’t be an April Fool. Backup your files. Check your restores.” You can visit the site for some great deals on backup services. They have a list of featured articles all about backup and a link to a great infographic on Pinterest. To save you time, I’ve placed the infographic below this post.
Hostgator’s monthly newsletter makes a good point: “Our whole lives are found on our hard drives. When a hard drive fails and the data isn’t backed up, it’s gone. And it’s not a question of IF your drive will fail, it’s WHEN.”
Those of us in the know, who do back up our data on a regular basis are fairly well versed in some of the scary statistics about data loss and data security. For those who aren’t as familiar with the stats, here are the main ones in favor of backups:
- All hard drives will crash during their lifetime
- More than 1 in 10 laptops will be stolen in their lifetime
- A laptop is stolen every 53 seconds
- Every year 46% of computer users lose their music, photos, and documents
- 50% of all hard drives will crash within 5 years
- 89.1% of PC users don’t perform regular backups
- A recent study from Gartner, Inc., found that 90 percent of companies that experience data loss go out of business within two years.
- 70 percent of companies go out of business after a major data loss
While it’s on your mind, go ahead and take advantage of one of the free backup offers commemorating World Backup Day 2012. I promise, you’ll rest easier tonight.