Posted by: Ken Harthun
E-mail scam, Fraud, Scam alert
Got an email this morning from “Skype Newsletter” with the subject “New version of Skype has been released ! Upgrade now.” If you use Skype and you get such a notice, delete it: it’s a scam to get you to “join” some bogus software site. It is NOT from Skype. I did not see any attempt at installing malware. Here’s the text of the email:
Skype Voip Upgrade Notification
This is to notify that new updates have been released for Skype.
Following are major new features :
* Up to 5-way group video call.
* Redesigned calling experience.
* Improved video snapshots gallery.
* Improved browser plugins performance on some websites.
* Reduced false positives on browser plugin phone number recognition.
* New presence icons.
* Improved handling of calling attempts made when the user has run out of credit.
* Improved access to sharing functionality
To download the latest version , go to :
Start downloading the update right now and let us know what you think about it.
We’re working on making Skype better all the time !
The people at Skype
====================== PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD ===========================
Skype or Skype Staff will NEVER ask you for your password via email. The only place you are asked for your password is when you sign in to the Skype application or our website.