Profile: Eric Hansen
TrueCrypt is a very popular option for encrypting data, while dm-crypt+LUKS (LUKS is a module for dm-crypt) is an unsung hero of sorts for those who don’t want to install a lot of software.
- TrueCrypt allows encrypting an entire hard disk, while I haven’t found a way for dm-crypt to do this
- Both allow you to create containers to store data
- Neither allow expendable containers (unless TC has changed that)
- Process of creating a container in dm-crypt is more troublesome than with TC
- TC allows for more encryption options out of the box, while dm-crypt may allow more with additional effort
- dm-crypt does not require administrative rights (except for probably mounting)