I was right in the middle of switching a backup solution around and had a user lose their contacts. The problem was I was moving from DPM 2010 to Shadow Protect and rearranging some things for storage on the SAN but it was only for a day and nobody would mess anything up in that amount of time it took me to do that. Yea right ok I had done a full backup of all the servers with Shadow protect before I removed the DPM data off the SAN. I was lucky there but how do you restore the contacts? I didn’t have the StorageCraft Exchange option just the server one so what did I do. Problem was they didn’t realize it until 2 weeks later oh fun.
I have a laptop that has enough power and space and RAM to handle setting up a MS hyperV Envoroment and I have my laptop to boot to either Windows 7 or 2008 R2 Server and I had a post earlier on how to do that. I also have a 2 TB eSATA drive that I used with this. But I copied the Shadow Protect files over for my FSMO Master a Windows 2008 R2 Server to the drive and the backup files from the Exchange server. I was going to have a little AD and DNS work to do as we have 8 Domain Controllers in our main location and remote sites and Sites to go with it. So it wasn’t going to be a simple restore and I could not have this connected to the network when doing this or it would have gotten ugly I am sure. How I did this in the next part of this story.
Til later just Roger