I was real pleased with the way this migration worked. The key to a sucessful migration is that your source server is healthy AD wise which makes it very important to use the SBS 2003 BPA on the source server until the reports are clean and your event logs are clean. Also to use the Exchange 2007 BPA to make sure the Domain is ready for Exchange 2007. DNS setup correctly and clean and the source server updated with MS Updates. Take your time and get your server ready don’t just dive in and expect to be able to fix anything that don’t migrate correctly on the other end because as of right now a lot of the fix is to call MS or to restore you source server and start again or both calling MS to find out you have to restore. SO Backup, Backup, and Backup your server before you start and do the rest to be sure your source server is ready…. I can not stress that enough because if you don’t think you need to worry about it better think again if the BPA or the Ebent logs are not clean. Here is the time it took me for a 20 user office with SBS 2003 and ISA involved.
1. Setup parts in server 30 min
2. Moved TS Licensing over to the TS Server. 15 minutes
3. Removed ISA and ISA Client Settings and updated the Server with all Windows Updates and Run the SBS BPA on the server and also the Exchange 2007 BPA on the server till both was clean and ready to go. 3 and half hours
4. Setup 2 Backups to run on Sunday and once these finished I Ran the Migration Tool on Source Server. 1.5 hours
5. Checked everything over and then created answer file and then started upgrade process on server. This took 4 hours
6. Updated new server with HP Updates and Windows Updates and Setup Drive partitions and folders to match source server for structure 1 hour
7. Started Migration list and configured Exchange to move email automatically and created robocopy script to copy data and I scheduled this for during the night to run. 3 hours
8. Day 2
9. Moved Exchange parts to new server 30 minutes
10. Moved Public Folders and those pieces to new server 1 hour
11. Finished Migration Wizard except for removing Source Server 2 and half hours
12. Setup Printers on new server and install 32 bit drivers and moved QuickBooks pointer on workstation and then DCPromoed Source server end of day. 4 hours
As you cans see it took me about 22 hours give or take to do this process and I took my time and did not rush anything.
Til Later just Roger