Friday night I and another one of our techs moved a Server running SBS 2003 to new hardware. it use to be we would do some kind of swing method to do this but on this one I thought why not lets try the Shadow Protect method on this one that I have been using for Physical to Virtual migrations.
This customer also had a series of bad luck with their servers from lightning strikes to other misfortunes and the current pain was space on the server. They are accounts so they keep everything and have started to scan images. So when i first proposed this to them they was very doubtful and I know one of the partners made a comment that “it can’t be that easy” well yes it was and yes it is. I also had a time window of 6 PM Friday evening to 6 AM Saturday morning because it is that time of year for them being it is tax season and all. Sure we had one hiccup but nothing that was life altering or effected the server any.
I would suggest checking out the product and seeing where it fits on your bag of tricks but this one I am liking more and more everyday. Here is what we did basically
I have a trial copy of Shadow Protect IT version that I used for this and I booted the old server to the disk and selected the 2003 option and when it came up and asked about starting networking I just canceled. I had also plugged in by 500 Gig USB Drive that I had borrowed from my wife’s business for this purpose before I booted. But once I had booted to the disk I selected backup and specified the USB drive to backup to and the 3 drives on the server we was running out of room on. The backup took probably a hour to hour and half to complete. I then downloaded the RAID Driver for the HP ML 350 G5 we was rolling in and extracted the files to a folder on the disk. I then booted the new server defined the RAID level and booted to the Shadow Protect disk using the same options and answers from the old server backup. I then set my partitions for the 3 drive sets and started the restore. Because we was going to new hardware I had to select the HIR restore and specify the folder that has the RAID drivers in it. Well the actual restore of the C drive took about 15 minutes but I noticed it did not inject the RAID drivers. Been down this path before so I did the C Drive again and selected the HIR option again but this time instead of low matches I selected Excellent meaning it was going to prompt me for the drivers for the 46 different parts it don’t reconize. So I skip my way to number 43 which is the RAID driver and it loaded the driver and we went to restoring the rest of the server. This all completed in about 4 hour or so and when the server booted from the restore I had to go in and fix the drive letters on the E and S drive but that was it. I always boot into Safe Mode with networking anyways and load the HP Drivers for all devices and make sure the drive letters are what they need to be.
We got that all done and had the server up and running and called the customer at midnight and had them check the server from home before we left but they connected with RWW and it was that easy things just worked. I called and check on the customer on Saturday morning and things was humming along like they should be and I think they still couldn’t believe it was that easy. I know your thinking why not just migrate them to SBS 2008 a lot of that was the reason we did not is because of the programs the have running on the server right now do not support 2008 or 64 bit or I should say there LOB is not approved to run on it. But customer was happy was the bottom line of the whole adventure.
Til later just Roger