Posted by: Roger Crawford
Defragging Exchange 2010 Database, Exchange 2010 SP1
Ok now that I have moved the Hidden System Mailboxes and I did this because I did not want to have any issue with the existing Exchange Users having any problems so I moved everything to a live Database while I didthe defrag of the default database.
What I did to defrag my default database was and because my Exchange Server runs on a Microsoft HyperV Shared Storage Cluster I added a temp drive to my exchange server for the temp database to reside in while the server defraged. I opened the Exchange Power Shell and got to drive location of the database that I was going to defrag and in this case it was
Once I was there I opened the Exchange Management and dismounted the database I was going to defrag and once that completed I went back to the powershell and ran this command.
E:\Database\eseutil /d “databaseName.edb” /t “F:\Temp.edb”
You then see the Utility do the defrag on the database and then once that completes you see the temp database moved into the one you was defragging. And you now have shrunk your database and cleaned up the whitespace. Once this is completed you mount your database and do a backup of the server. I had read where it would do the defrag at about 4 Gig per hour and that was way off I was suprised that it only took the whole process 15 minutes to do this on a 200 Gig Database Start to finish.
Til later Just Roger