An error appears when using the “Virtual Machine Start-Up and Shutdown” feature with W2K3 – which automatically starts and shuts down VM’s when ESX Server is shutdown and restarted .
- This was a problem under ESX 2.1, but appears to have been fixed under new Virtual Machine in ESX 2.5.x
- This does not happen if an operator manually shutdowns the W2K3 through the Remote Console or via the MUI After login on with the Remote Console or with RDP the operator receives a dialog box.
- To correct this problem you need to manually edit the VM’s VMX configuration file
- Logon to the MUI using VM Admin account, in my case lavericm
- Power down the VM gracefully
- Select the properties of the VM
- Click the Options Tab, and underneath Verbose Options, select the click here link
- Click the Addâ€¦ link
- In the 1st dialog box create an option name called autostop
- Choose OK
- In the 2nd dialog box set a value of softpoweroff
- Choose OK
Choose OK in the Options page
Choose Close in the Properties page
If you have a large number of W2K3 VM’s and would prefer to do this via the command-line at the Service Console. You can do this while the VM is powered up – but I found I had to do two boots of ESX to remove stop the “Shutdown Event Tracker” dialog box appearing.
Use this command
echo autostop = softpoweroff >> /lavericm/vmware/instructor1/instructor1.vmx