The success of a project is driven by the teams that work on it. Besides various other factors and logistics, it is always the team that matters most because static and non living things do not think and act according to changing environment and conditions but it is the human mind that has an ability to work efficiently even under stressed and constrained conditions. That is why the people factor remains on top always.
For Test Lead top 5 priorities on card for the year 2014 would be:
1. Requirements: Understanding of customer and business requirements beyond what has been documented by the analysts will be very important. It will be good if QC guy gets a chance to walk through the business process of the customer thoroughly.
2. Documentation: Documentation includes a lot and means a lot for QC. Right from test case building, test report, bug closure report and so on.
3. Experience: Testing is one expertise and business knowledge is another. Former comes from learning and education whereas latter comes from experience and wisdom. A tester needs to have both these expertise in a balanced form so as to align both the roads properly.
4. Team: Management of team, allocation of resources and retaining the best of resources is an art that needs to be learnt and managed.
5. Learning: Learning is a process that needs to be built in a structured manner. Learning must come from each project, each success, each failure and so on.