[kml_flashembed movie="http://youtube.com/v/qmPm-YV9vdA" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]
We intentionally created conditions in which the Li-ON battery pack would explode inside a generic portable. The results are dramatic.
[kml_flashembed movie="http://youtube.com/v/mAuKwTDGnCg" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]
[kml_flashembed movie="http://youtube.com/v/bfQabSJGsak" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]
We decided to give a web server early retirement in a manner that allowed us to “feel good” because it had kept support staff up for many nights trying to sort it out.
Nick Lansley , Tesco.com
[kml_flashembed movie="http://youtube.com/v/ZWPMDPhSnvk" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]
Scalent Systems builds software that can take 1 or 1000 machines “From Dead Bare Metal to Live, Connected Servers in 5 Minutes or Less”. But we were sitting around on April Fools’ day thinking about how many ways we’ve heard of hardware dying… and we came up with our own interpretation.
Gartner issued predictions highlighting ten areas of technology that could cause a company to lose its competitive edge if ignored. Does your crystal ball measure up? Take the quiz and find out.
1) Gartner predicts that by 2011, this company will double its U.S. and Western Europe unit market share in computers.
2) By the year 2012, what percentage of traveling workers does Gartner predict will leave their laptops at home?
3) By 2012, Gartner thinks that 80% of all commercial software will include elements of this kind of technology.
4) By the year 2012, early technology adopters will purchase __________ of their IT infrastructure as a service, according to Gartner.
5) By 2009, Gartner predicts that more than 1/3 of IT organizations will list this as one of their top-six buying criteria for IT-related goods.
a. energy efficiency
c. solid-state memory
6) By the year 2012, what percentage of organizations does Gartner predict will use full life cycle energy and CO2 footprint as mandatory hardware buying criteria?
7) Gartner predicts that suppliers to large global enterprises will need to prove their green credentials with this in order to retain preferred supplier status.
a. a government-issued certification
b. an audit
c. an EnergyStar sticker
8 ) According to Gartner, by 2010 __________ will determine as much as half of all software, hardware and services acquisitions made by IT.
b. VARs and resellers
c. Google and
9) Say bye-bye to EULA. By the year 2012, what percentage of business application software spending does Gartner say will be subscription-based?
10) This one may surprise you. Gartner predicts the number of this hardware device in homes and businesses will grow 100-fold over 2006 levels.
b. IP TV
c. 3-D printer
|The replacement of vigorous outdoor activities by sedentary, indoor videophilia has far-reaching consequences for physical and mental health, especially in children. Videophilia has been shown to be a cause of obesity, lack of socialization, attention disorders and poor academic performance.
Oliver R. W. Pergams as quoted in Nature Giving Way to Virtual Reality
Lots of press about a study funded by The Nature Conservancy. The study looked at visits to national and state parks as well as numbers of hunting and fishing licenses. Their conclusion? Video games and the Internet are responsible for decreased numbers. I’m wondering: Did they factor in the price of gas or park admission fees?
|Skulltrail. We’re not sure who thinks up these names. It brings to mind visions of worlds where dark mages do battle with Paladins for world domination. Maybe that’s what Intel had in mind when they came up with the name.
In reality, Skulltrail is more of a workaholic engineer, devoted to getting the most done in the least amount of time. Skulltrail is a little short on the people skills, a little too loud, but like the geeky programmer who can write ten times as much code as his peers, Skulltrail gets the job done.
Lloyd Case, Skulltrail: A Preview of Intel’s Beast
When you get down to brass tacks, Skulltrail is an engineering workstation with some added chrome to be a pretty high-end gaming system. But its primary mission in life is to bring eight cores to bear on tough computational problems.
|LINQ is an object-oriented revolution for data, because it, like object-oriented programming, allows programmers to write code that is more like the way people think.
Patrick Hynds, as quoted in Does .NET With LINQ Beat Java?
This also adds urgency to another possible combo: Google-AOL. Google already owns a five percent stake in AOL and a full acquisition would aid Google on the advertising side as well as with traction and traffic in portal areas it has yet to conquer such as finance and sports.
This has the potential to be the first serious threat Google has had to their online advertising business and the first time the battle cry “antitrust” has been sounded.
Diane Mermigas provides a little background for those of us who may have missed an episode of this particular soap opera. The fact that Microsoft is going into debt for the first time to fund this acquisition illustrates just how important this deal is.
Open Office is a multiplatform and multilingual office suite and an open-source project.