I recently bought a MINI Cooper, and was pleasantly surprised to receive a “Mini Adventure Field Kit” in the mail. The box was filled with lots of MINI goodness, including a:
- Personalized welcome from the Head of MINI USA
- Guide to the 101 Fundamentals of Good Motoring
- Booklet about financial services
- Travel journal and pen
- Mousepad with a collage of MINI images
- Foam antenna topper
- Set of “trading” cards to hand out, featuring different MINI models
- Pair of 3D glasses that allow me to decode messages in the MINI Owner’s Lounge
You can see the items laid out in this photo on Flickr, posted by another MINI owner.
Not only are these items fun, the kit left me feeling as though I was being welcomed into an exclusive club…and that I wasn’t forgotten now that the sale had been made. And the company gets plenty of mileage from its marketing. Do a search on Mini Adventure Field Kit and you’ll see plenty of MINI owners talking about their kits.
So what’s stopping technology marketers from sending out something similar? Imagine welcoming your new customers with a well-designed kit containing a range of items that are both fun and useful. Playing off the list above, I can imagine such a kit containing a:
- Personalized welcome from the company’s president or CEO, perhaps with an invitation to meet at an upcoming event in the customer’s area
- Guide to 101 ways to get the most from your product or service
- Booklet showing all available products and services, perhaps with mini case studies showing how others have benefited
- Card showing all the ways your customers can contact you and stay in touch (including via social media channels)
- Exclusive invitation – with log-in details – to your online community and/or customer portal
- Cool notepad and pen (or something similar) for the recipient’s personal use
Let’s face it. Most people are thrilled to get a package in the mail. Imagine what fans your customers will become if you take this extra step to welcome them. It certainly beats an email that points them to all the resources that everyone can access on your site.
Do you welcome your new customers and make them feel like they’ve joined an exclusive club? Please share your ideas and experiences.