The Aberdeen Group just released a new report underscoring the importance of sales and marketing alignment in the era of the empowered buyer. Considering that IDC says B2B companies’ inability to align sales and marketing teams around the right processes and technologies can cost them upwards of 10% or more of revenue per year, this issue should be top of mind.
Highlights of Aberdeen’s findings include:
- 40% of the sales-forecasted pipeline among Best-in-Class companies is generated by Marketing, compared with 22% among Industry Average firms and 13% within Laggard companies
- Best-in-Class companies report a 31.6% average year-over-year growth in corporate revenue, versus 18.7% for Industry Average firms and a 6.7% decline among Laggards
To achieve best-in-class performance, Aberdeen urges organizations to:
- Tightly align marketing activities to specific sales goals and objectives
- Establish or refine the lead management process
You can download the Aberdeen report for free until January 27, 2012.
Need help aligning sales and marketing? Download this 27-page eBook (no registration required) that I wrote last year for AG Salesworks. In it, you’ll find 8 steps for getting sales and marketing cranking in unison, featuring recommendations from leading experts including:
- Ardath Albee, author of eMarketing Strategies for the Complex Sale
- Andrew Briney, Sr VP and Group Publisher at TechTarget
- Brian Halligan, CEO and Founder of HubSpot
- David Meerman Scott, author of The New Rules of Marketing & PR
- Jill Konrath, author of SNAP Selling
- Joe Pulizzi, co-author of Get Content. Get Customers.