If you want to configure DHCP service in Cisco Aironet 1100 and 1200 series Access Points its pretty simple. Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server capability was first available on the Cisco Aironet 1100 and 1200 series Access Points (APs) in version 12.2(11)JA1.
When an AP is configured as a DHCP server, it can provide IP addresses to an Ethernet-capable PC connected to its Ethernet port or to wireless client devices that associate to the AP.
Following example shows how to configure DHCP service on the Cisco Aironet 1100 and 1200 series Access Points
ITKE-AP01(config)#ip dhcp excluded-address 172.16.0.1 – 172.16.0.50
ITKE-AP01(config)#ip dhcp pool ITKE
ITKE-AP01(dhcp-config)# network 172.16.0.0 255.255.255.0
Now even the small-business market segments do matters, on June 11th Cisco Systems entered into the small-business market with its new storage product Cisco NSS 300 Series Smart Storage. The Cisco NSS 300 Series Smart Storage is a desktop solution with business application, data encryption and built-in servers specifically designed for small businesses with fewer than 100 employees.
Pic Courtesy: Cisco Systems
The Cisco NSS 300 Series Smart Storage family consists of two-bay, four-bay and six-bay desktop network storage units and it offers the following features
- High performance: Class-leading performance reduces backup time and allows multiple people to use the device simultaneously.
- Built-in and add-on applications: Extend capabilities beyond storage, and get more for your money. Running applications on Cisco Smart Storage helps ensure that they are available at all times, and can eliminate the need for additional devices on the network.
- Security and data encryption: On-disk data encryption protects critical business data stored on disk even if hard drives are stolen.
- Simplified configuration and management: Setup takes minutes and a straightforward, browser-based interface simplifies configuration.
- Flexibility: Choose from multiple backup modes and share files across Windows, Macintosh, and Linux platforms.
- Reliable, high-availability design: Safeguard data and reduce downtime with Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) 0, 1, 5, and 6 configurations, and hot-swappable drives.
- Service and support: Protect your investment with Cisco Small Business Pro Service, which provides three-year, peace-of-mind coverage
Cisco Systems is a relatively new player in to Storage business especially into SMB segment, Ian Pennel, co-chair of Cisco’s Small Business Council, highlighted the company’s storage directions:
“To help small businesses effectively manage the explosion of electronic information, we’ve built an innovative new family of storage solutions. The addition of these new devices further emphasizes Cisco’s commitment to providing small businesses with affordable, easy-to-use technology they require to optimize productivity and drive growth.“
Last night when I read the WWDC 2010 opening notes and the release of iPhone 4 by Steve Jobs for a moment I was shocked when I saw the name iOS, what is Cisco Systems IOS doing here with Apple.
It’s clear Apple has changed the name of iPhone OS to iOS. We all know IOS is around more than two decades a popular Cisco operating system for Cisco devices.
Cisco has agreed to license the iOS trademark used for its core operating system to the Cupertino company which has decided that should be the new name of the OS powering the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.
Since long time we are used to Cisco IOS version and few Cisco Switches with CatOS, now the era of NX-OS is coming. These days I am seeing more and more Organizations are moving towards Nexus Switches for their Core and Server farm. Since Nexus Switches are pretty new and they work with NX-OS. NX-OS is different from IOS, in this article I will try to highlight on some of the key differences between NX-OS and IOS.
We are familiar with the traditional Cisco IOS command line interface (CLI); the CLI interface of NX-OS is pretty similar to Cisco IOS.
One of the key differences I have noted is NX-OS is when you first log into NX-OS, you go directly into EXEC ode.
NX-OS features are based on license model, where as in IOS what matter was the type of IOS you installed. A good beginning from Cisco as you can install the required features, more over you can try a 120 day license grace period for testing. After 120 days of testing the features will be automatically removed. This is some thing you never experienced in Cisco IOS.
Cisco NX-OS has the capability to either enable or disable the features OSPF, BGP, etc. by using the feature configuration command.
I will try to come up with some more details in the upcoming post.
We all know it’s the era of Social Networking, I am pretty sure most us are enjoying twittering, facebook, linkedin, buzz, mysapce etc. Hardly I know a Professional without any association with Social Networking.
These days huge corporations are banking on Social Networking sites, infact major vendors are developing their communication products keeping in mind of Social Networking sites. One among those is Avaya communications. There Call Center solution does address these issues. Dell generated more than $3 million in sales using a Twitter account @DellOutlet.
Now Cisco Systems is conducting their first ever live chat on Twitter about the growing impact of social software and collaboration tools within the enterprise on Wednesday, June 9th from 11:00am – 12:00pm PT using the #CollabChat hashtag.
The Cisco enterprise collaboration experts Panel participants include:
- Phil Heyneker, Manager, Collaboration Solutions Marketing
- Lawrence Liu, Product Manager, Enterprise Collaboration (@LLiu)
- Lynn Lucas, Senior Director, Collaboration Solutions Marketing (@Lylucas)
- Paul Russell, Business Development Manager, Enterprise Collaboration (@parussel)
- Joe Schueller, Sales Business Development Manager, Collaboration Business Transformation (@JoeSchueller)
- Vishnukant Varma, Software Engineer, Enterprise Collaboration (@vishnukvarma)
Discussion will include:
- The role of enterprise policy in Enterprise 2.0
- The importance of interoperability and open integration
- How the unified content model enables collaboration
Submit questions in advance to @CiscoCollab or submit by posting a comment below (log in with cisco.com userid to post a comment).
What is a TweetChat?
Tweet chats are online conversations, held at a pre-arranged time, between a group of Twitter users, and using a specific Twitter hashtag to identify the discussion.
How Do I Participate?
On the day of the event, login to www.tweetchat.com and follow the #CollabChat hashtag. Alternatively, you can use your favorite Twitter client (i.e. Tweet Grid, TweetDeck) or TwitterSearch to follow the chat hashtag. During the event, you can follow the discussion, contribute questions, and submit your own comments by using the same hashtag
In this article we will see how a Cisco Catalyst Switch 3750 – POE switch can be configured to support the Nortel IP phone and the power modes supported by the Cisco 3750 Switch.
The Cisco Catalyst Switches 3750-24PS and 3750-48PS support 370 Watts of inline power, and by default, the power mode of a port is set to auto.
Use the command show power inline to check the inline power configuration and status as demonstrated below
ITKE-AS01#sh power inline
Module Available Used Remaining
(Watts) (Watts) (Watts)
—— ——— ——– ———
1 370.0 114.8 255.2
Interface Admin (Watts) Power Class Max
——— —— ———- ——- ——————- —– —-
Gi1/0/1 auto on 15.4 Ieee PD 3 15.4
Gi1/0/2 static on 15.4 Ieee PD n/a 15.4
There are three modes of PoE configuration on Cisco Catalyst 3750 Switch.
1) Auto (Default, recommended with Nortel IP phones)
The switch automatically detects if the connected device requires power. If the switch
discovers a powered device connected to the port it grants power.
The switch pre-allocates power to the port and guarantees that power will be available for the port even when no powered device is connected, the switch allocates the port configured maximum wattage. Any powered device that uses less than or equal to the maximum wattage is guaranteed to be powered when it is connected to the static port. However if the powered-device IEEE class is greater than the maximum wattage, the switch does not supply power to it.
3) (Never) Off
The switch disables powered-device detection and never powers the PoE port. Use this mode only when you want to make sure power is never applied to a PoE-capable port.
Recently Cisco Press released the CCIE Routing and Switching v4.0 Configuration Practice Labs in eBook format. This title can be downloaded from the Cisco Press website. The CCIE Routing and Switching v4.0 Configuration Practice Labs provides you an opportunity to practice the theoretical knowledge you gained.
The title allows you to test each lab and compare configurations and routing table with the required answers. The point scoring for each question let’s you know whether you passed or failed each lab. Definitely a great practicing manual for the CCIE aspirers, thanks to Cisco Press as they are offering the extensive set of practice labs that sell for hundreds of dollars elsewhere
Last week Cisco Systems announced the first offering in its “Connected Grid” portfolio, a transformational Router and Switch that will help utilities more reliably and efficiently deliver electric power from generation facilities to businesses and homes, resulting in better energy management, as well as economic and environmental benefits.
“Right now [utilities] have to run different lines for different types of communication — data, voice and so on — and they’re paying a lot in operating expenses for those leased lines,” said Sanket Amberkar, Cisco’s senior director of Smart Grid Strategy.
Facts / Highlights:
· The Cisco 2010 Connected Grid Router (CGR 2010) and Cisco 2520 Connected Grid Switch (CGS 2520) are purpose-built for the most demanding utility substation environments.
· They are designed specifically for the Smart Grid communications infrastructure and are the first in Cisco’s new Connected Grid portfolio, a family of products that will deliver highly secure, end-to-end and standards-based communications solutions for the smart grid from generation facilities to businesses and homes.
· Together, the Cisco CGR 2010 and Cisco CGS 2520 form a secure communications infrastructure to capture and analyze information in near-real-time from multiple intelligent electronic devices in the substation. This helps utility operators better manage and maintain power transmission and distribution equipment, as well as increase the reliability of power delivery by quickly identifying, isolating, diagnosing and, at times, automatically repairing faults. This will also help utilities better integrate renewable energy into the grid.
· The Cisco solution also extends network-based security and management policies to substations, supporting remote engineering access and proactive maintenance programs.
· The products are based on Cisco IOS Software, an operating system that delivers high reliability and resiliency as well as multiple network services including support for supervisory control and data acquisition, or SCADA, protocols.
· Cisco IOS Software consolidates network security, quality of service and network segmentation on a common communications platform, delivering mission-critical reliability and reducing operational expenses.
· Cisco’s Connected Grid products represent the latest in Cisco’s energy management offerings, which include Cisco EnergyWise and the Network Building Mediator
[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/F3zCxOu-wN4" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]
The Routing Video Mentor by Kevin Wallace is an excellent certification preparation material for CCNP Certification aspirers who wants to view and learn the Cisco router configurations.
Pic Courtesy: Cisco Press
The Routing Video Mentor is designed in such a way it fulfils the requirements of CCNP Routing Certification aspirer either they are pretty new to this field or even the experienced professionals can have a quick glance which is always great to recall the concepts we might forgot. One of the greatest advantage of the Routing Video Mentor is it can be viewed any number of times until you understand the concept quite clear. The videos are presented clearly and it’s easy to understand.
The CCNP Routing Video Mentor covers everything in depth from Static routes to RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, IGP Redistribution, BGP, Policy-based routing, IPV6 etc.
The Routing Video Mentor consists of 15 labs and lab lasts for 20 – 30 minutes each.
To summarize I would say a great study asset for CCNP Route 642-902 Certification exam.
[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/ENuv0wn5Fr0" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]
As claimed by Cisco Press the title CCNP Route 642-902 Cert Kit is certainly a best breed of preparation package especially at the later stage. I am always motivated to read and write reviews for Cisco Press products, thanks a Jamie Adams (Senior Publicist at Cisco Press ) for her continued support, without her support I doubt of writing any reviews for any of the Cisco Press titles.
The title CCNP Route 642-902 Cert Kit is a combination of three self-study tools namely flash cards, a DVD mentor and quick reference guide. Flash cards consist of 300 exam review questions which tests your skills and enhance your retention of the following topics.
• Planning Routing Services
• Implementing an EIGRP-Based Solution
• Implementing a Multi-Area OSPF Network
• IPv4 Redistribution
• Path Control
• Policy Based Routing (PBR)
• Connecting to Internet
• Implementing an IPv6-Based Solution
• Implementing Basic Teleworker and Branch Services
Pic Courtesy:Cisco Press
The best thing I liked about the CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Cert Flash Cards Online is the you can choose to view cards in order or at random, more over you can create 10 customs sets from the entire bank of the cards and also you can write notes on each question and you have the liberty to get them in a printable PDF. It’s a good way to make notes of questions you missed and can be handy tool for final review as well.
In short the CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Cert Flash Cards Online is quite handy and useful for the final review of the CCNP Route 642-902 exams. I strongly recommend these practice exams for CCNP aspirers especially who are new to the Cisco Networking world. This will surely boost the confidence.
CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Cert Flash Cards Online is available in both desktop and mobile device formats, allowing you to test yourself at home, at work, or on the go.
In my upcoming post I will try review the DVD which comes with theCCNP Route 642-902 Cert Kit . Until then enjoy your preparations for CCNP Route 642-902