Recently Cisco Press released the CCIE Routing and Switching v4.0 Configuration Practice Labs in eBook format. This title can be downloaded from the Cisco Press website. The CCIE Routing and Switching v4.0 Configuration Practice Labs provides you an opportunity to practice the theoretical knowledge you gained.
The title allows you to test each lab and compare configurations and routing table with the required answers. The point scoring for each question let’s you know whether you passed or failed each lab. Definitely a great practicing manual for the CCIE aspirers, thanks to Cisco Press as they are offering the extensive set of practice labs that sell for hundreds of dollars elsewhere
Last week Cisco Systems announced the first offering in its “Connected Grid” portfolio, a transformational Router and Switch that will help utilities more reliably and efficiently deliver electric power from generation facilities to businesses and homes, resulting in better energy management, as well as economic and environmental benefits.
“Right now [utilities] have to run different lines for different types of communication — data, voice and so on — and they’re paying a lot in operating expenses for those leased lines,” said Sanket Amberkar, Cisco’s senior director of Smart Grid Strategy.
Facts / Highlights:
· The Cisco 2010 Connected Grid Router (CGR 2010) and Cisco 2520 Connected Grid Switch (CGS 2520) are purpose-built for the most demanding utility substation environments.
· They are designed specifically for the Smart Grid communications infrastructure and are the first in Cisco’s new Connected Grid portfolio, a family of products that will deliver highly secure, end-to-end and standards-based communications solutions for the smart grid from generation facilities to businesses and homes.
· Together, the Cisco CGR 2010 and Cisco CGS 2520 form a secure communications infrastructure to capture and analyze information in near-real-time from multiple intelligent electronic devices in the substation. This helps utility operators better manage and maintain power transmission and distribution equipment, as well as increase the reliability of power delivery by quickly identifying, isolating, diagnosing and, at times, automatically repairing faults. This will also help utilities better integrate renewable energy into the grid.
· The Cisco solution also extends network-based security and management policies to substations, supporting remote engineering access and proactive maintenance programs.
· The products are based on Cisco IOS Software, an operating system that delivers high reliability and resiliency as well as multiple network services including support for supervisory control and data acquisition, or SCADA, protocols.
· Cisco IOS Software consolidates network security, quality of service and network segmentation on a common communications platform, delivering mission-critical reliability and reducing operational expenses.
· Cisco’s Connected Grid products represent the latest in Cisco’s energy management offerings, which include Cisco EnergyWise and the Network Building Mediator
[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/F3zCxOu-wN4" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]
The Routing Video Mentor by Kevin Wallace is an excellent certification preparation material for CCNP Certification aspirers who wants to view and learn the Cisco router configurations.
Pic Courtesy: Cisco Press
The Routing Video Mentor is designed in such a way it fulfils the requirements of CCNP Routing Certification aspirer either they are pretty new to this field or even the experienced professionals can have a quick glance which is always great to recall the concepts we might forgot. One of the greatest advantage of the Routing Video Mentor is it can be viewed any number of times until you understand the concept quite clear. The videos are presented clearly and it’s easy to understand.
The CCNP Routing Video Mentor covers everything in depth from Static routes to RIP, EIGRP, OSPF, IGP Redistribution, BGP, Policy-based routing, IPV6 etc.
The Routing Video Mentor consists of 15 labs and lab lasts for 20 – 30 minutes each.
To summarize I would say a great study asset for CCNP Route 642-902 Certification exam.
[kml_flashembed movie="http://www.youtube.com/v/ENuv0wn5Fr0" width="425" height="350" wmode="transparent" /]
As claimed by Cisco Press the title CCNP Route 642-902 Cert Kit is certainly a best breed of preparation package especially at the later stage. I am always motivated to read and write reviews for Cisco Press products, thanks a Jamie Adams (Senior Publicist at Cisco Press ) for her continued support, without her support I doubt of writing any reviews for any of the Cisco Press titles.
The title CCNP Route 642-902 Cert Kit is a combination of three self-study tools namely flash cards, a DVD mentor and quick reference guide. Flash cards consist of 300 exam review questions which tests your skills and enhance your retention of the following topics.
• Planning Routing Services
• Implementing an EIGRP-Based Solution
• Implementing a Multi-Area OSPF Network
• IPv4 Redistribution
• Path Control
• Policy Based Routing (PBR)
• Connecting to Internet
• Implementing an IPv6-Based Solution
• Implementing Basic Teleworker and Branch Services
Pic Courtesy:Cisco Press
The best thing I liked about the CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Cert Flash Cards Online is the you can choose to view cards in order or at random, more over you can create 10 customs sets from the entire bank of the cards and also you can write notes on each question and you have the liberty to get them in a printable PDF. It’s a good way to make notes of questions you missed and can be handy tool for final review as well.
In short the CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Cert Flash Cards Online is quite handy and useful for the final review of the CCNP Route 642-902 exams. I strongly recommend these practice exams for CCNP aspirers especially who are new to the Cisco Networking world. This will surely boost the confidence.
CCNP ROUTE 642-902 Cert Flash Cards Online is available in both desktop and mobile device formats, allowing you to test yourself at home, at work, or on the go.
In my upcoming post I will try review the DVD which comes with theCCNP Route 642-902 Cert Kit . Until then enjoy your preparations for CCNP Route 642-902
Ubuntu was always an Interesting OS I was looking at, when I got an opportunity to get a book on Ubuntu from our community Manager Michael Morisy I readily accepted to get one copy of the title “Ubuntu Unleashed” published by SAMS. Thanks a lot Michael Morisy for your continued support.
Finally after a long wait I got the chance to review some parts of this book. I am not much into Linux platforms but I did tried Red hat, Fedora, Ubuntu, Ubuntu flavors of Linux.
Since I am not an expert in this area Networking I figured out the title “Ubuntu Unleashed”more useful especially I liked Installation, System Administration and Ubuntu housekeeping part of this book.
Since I am newbie to Linux I was comfortable in Understanding the title “Ubuntu Unleashed” as found the language was simple and easy. The author did a marvelous job as the organization of the title is great I really liked it in particular. There are 32 chapters which are not only focused on Ubuntu but it does cover Linux distribution as well. Someone who is interested in Linux and Ubuntu should grab this title as it might be a great asset for them. I figured out this title goes well either with beginners or with the persons who are fairly new to Ubuntu. Experienced and seasoned Linux gurus have a different opinion on this title.
The title is divided into five parts
Part I, Installation and Configuration is about 260 pages.
Part II, System Administration, is about 170 pages.
Part III, Ubuntu as a server, is about 175 pages. It introduces Apache, Postfix, and other services.
Part IV, Programming, introduces Perl, Python, PHP, and some tools to use with C/C++ (but nothing on those languages themselves)
Part V, Housekeeping revists and amplifies Part II.
Last week one of my friend called me there have a serious problem with their Network, none can print in their Network Printer, only few people can access the internet. Since it’s a Small Business Organization with less than 100 people working they had a pretty simple Network Setup mainly for internet, email and printing. They are using most of the Linksys’s Access Points for their Wireless Network. But often people fail to consider the following while installing multiple Access Point in their offices.
1) Most of the people fail to disable the DHCP services in the access points which lead to multiple gateways in a small network which leads to problem in accessing the internet and other services they are using.
2) One more common mistake I noticed is they configure SSID in the same channel which leads to channel over lapping.
3) Forget to disable DHCP services in their Internet gateway even though they have a dedicated DHCP server.
Since we all know Cisco Systems has introduced Nexus Switches and NeXt-generation Operating System (NX-OS). I was wondering how am I going to configure them in our expansion project? As we are expected to have Nexus 7000, Nexus 5000 and Nexus 2000 Series Switches.
Thanks to Cisco Press soon they are releasing a title NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching which addresses the operation, use and configuration of the NeXt-generation Operating System (NX-OS) for Cisco data center products.
Picture Courtesy: Cisco Press
Currently the rough-cut pages of the title NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching are available. I just had a glance of some sample pages for some chapters. The new title NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching has seven chapters
Chapter1: Introduction to Cisco NX-OS
Chapter 2: Layer 2 Support and Configurations
Chapter 3: Layer 3 Support and Configurations
Chapter 4: Multicast Configuration
Chapter 5: Security
Chapter 6: High Availability
Chapter 7: Serviceability
Chapter 1 deals with an Introduction to Cisco NX-OS and I liked the way sections covered in this chapter. The author starts with an overview of NX-OS and its advantages, some of the advantages of NX-OS are
Unified data center operating system
Flexibility and scalability
Comprehensive security, availability, serviceability, and management features
Currently the NX-OS platform is supported by following platforms
Cisco MDS 9000
Cisco Unified Communications Manager (UCS)
Overall this title seems to very interesting and useful for the Network Administrators who are exploring their skills in the world of NX-OS. Eagerly waiting for Cisco Press to release this title in book format until then keep enjoying the rough cuts.
Cisco does revolution, by creating a world’s first 802.11 n wireless access point which can create a self-healing, self-optimizing wireless network that intelligently avoid RF interference resulting in simplification of wireless operation and improvements in wireless operations.
With CleanAir, a Cisco-patented application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) the Cisco 3500 Series APs can detects and identifies sources of wireless interference, then adjusts the APs to overcome them. According to Cisco, CleanAir can pick out up to 20 unique interference sources, including everything from microwave ovens and XBox controllers to video cameras and Bluetooth devices.
These innovative access points provide the highest-performance 802.11n connectivity for mission-critical mobility. By intelligently avoiding interference, the 3500 Series offers performance protection for 802.11n networks to help ensure reliable application delivery.
Building on the Cisco Aironet heritage of RF excellence, the 3500 Series delivers industry-leading performance for secure and reliable wireless connections. Enterprise-class silicon and optimized radios deliver a robust mobility experience using Cisco M-Drive technology, which includes:
• ClientLink improves reliability and coverage for legacy clients.
• BandSelect improves 5-GHz client connections in mixed client environments.
• VideoStream uses multicast to improve rich-media applications.
All of these features help ensure the best possible end-user experience on the wireless network.
The Cisco 3500 Series APs are availbale in two models
3500i model with internal antennas for typical office deployments
3500e model with external antenna connectors and extended operating temperature for challenging environments
The Blackberry version of Web Ex offers following function.
• View presentations and applications.
• Start or join meetings quickly and easily.
• See who attends and enable others to present.
• Enjoy integrated audio.
• Start group and private chats.
The Web Ex app for black berry has most of the same features as the WebEx for an iPhone.
A new vulnerability is affecting Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 has surfaced. While enterprises wait on a patch, there are actions they can take to mitigate the vulnerability.
– Microsoft has confirmed reports of a cross-site scripting vulnerability in SharePoint Server 2007 and SharePoint Services 3.0. According to Microsoft, the vulnerability could allow escalation of privilege (EoP) within the SharePoint site. . If an attacker successfully exploits the vulnerability, the person could run commands against the SharePoint server with the privileges of the compromised user.
“In the elevation of privilege scenario, an attacker could convince a user to click a specially crafted URL containing a script that would be run on the target SharePoint site,” Microsoft warned. “This URL could be in an e-mail message, on a Web site, or in an Instant Message conversation. Once the user clicks the specially crafted URL, the browser would run the script with the same privileges as the targeted user on the SharePoint site.”
Microsoft officials did not state when a security update will be ready to address the issue.