I have mentioned the DC design that was at hand, A new network design was proposed to tackle the issues. Figure below shows the proposed design. The benefits of such design are:
1- Virtual Switching System (VSS)
- With VSS, the two 6500 will become one.
- This will make both 6500 active in same time, increasing the network bandwidth for all servers and applications.
- This design will eliminate STP.
2- User Vlans terminated at MSFC
- This will reduce the operational and management task. It will keep the network simple, yet the Data Center will be secured by the FWSM.
- Dynamic routing can be used between the MPLS routing, Core (6500), and future distribution switches that can/should be introduced to follow the standard hierarchy network design.