Posted by: Sulaiman Syed
CCNA, Certification, Cisco, GNS3, PC, simulator
In this entry, we would see how to connect a router from the GNS3 simulator to your pc.
This will help you with all the basic simulations using SDM, it is specially good for people taking the CCNA Security exam.
First, we would need loopback interface in your PC. The following steps are used to create the loopback interface:
1. Go to Control Panel–>Add Hardware then click Next
2. Yes I have already connected the hardware
3. Scroll to the bottom and click on Add a new hardware device then Next
4. Install the hardware that I manually select from a list (Advanced)
5. Click on Network Adapters then Next
6. Select Microsoft as the Manufacturer then on Microsoft Loop-back Adapter under Network Adapter then click Next then Next again.
7. Open up Control Panel–>Network Connections to see the adapter in place.
Once that is done. Now run your GNS3 simulator, and do the following.
1- Drag the Cloud shape into the screen.
2-Right click, and configure.
3-go to the designated cloud (usually C1)
4-click on the Generic ethernet NIO
5-Select the Microsoft Loop-back Adapter, then ADD
Now, all you need to do, is add the router. connect a link between the Cloud and router. and you would be able to use SDM, of course you would still need to configure the router. Configuring the router will be in part 2 of this entry.