Posted by: MelanieYarbrough
The IT Blog Top 10
We’ve got some newcomers to the IT Blog Top 10 as well as our seasoned veterans. This week: Learn the difference between cloud and virtualization, SAN vs. DAS, and the real reasons behind MySpace’s failure.
1. Carl Brooks teaches a lesson: Learn the difference between virtualization and cloud computing. His pupil is Microsoft, who pointed to Target for private cloud but got it embarrassingly wrong.
2. It’s always embarrassing to get dumped in public, so it’s a shame that Ron Miller is publicly sharing last week’s Dear John letter from Nokia to Symbian Developers.
3. Ron Miller praises HP CEO Leo Apotheker’s recent bold moves in declaring HP’s (web)OS independence.
4. Mrdenny clears up some common misconceptions about SAN: What is faster, SAN or DAS (local disk), and most importantly, why?
5. Join Sulaiman Syed on his journey to learning to run Juniper with GNS3.
6. Thanks to Beth Pariseau at The Virtualization Room, we can get a clearer view of what Target’s been up to: Microsoft touts Target, launches System Center 2012.
7. Even Big Brother isn’t safe from the courts! According to Sharon Fisher, governments are also subject to e-discovery regulations.
8. Leah Rosin wonders what’s in a name after the announcement that Ubuntu 11.04 will have PC and server editions only.
9. It pays to be picky when you’re trying to get picked to be paid. Well, let Robin Miller say it better: Certification can increase your perceived value to employers.
10. Despite what you might have heard on Twitter recently, Mrdenny says that MySpace’s failures had nothing to do with the Microsoft stack or being in LA.