There are some recurring themes in this week’s IT Blog Top 10: IT careers, anti- or pro-cloud sentiments, and beta testing. Is your favorite blog post from this week missing from the list? Leave a link in the comments and spread the word!
1. Straight from the mouths of CEOs and management consultants: The best way to advance in IT – promotion or job change?
2. Always the voice of reason – and optimism – amidst a cloud crisis, Ron Miller chides all those cloud haters who jumped at the Amazon EC2 fiasco.
3. Ubuntu 11.04 beta testers are divided over Unity. Which side do you fall on?
4. Remember a year ago when Google beat Microsoft in a Los Angeles email-and-apps deal? Wondering why you haven’t heard anything else about the project? Well, you’re on the same page as the LAPD: LA proving a tarpit for Google, CSC.
5. It certainly hasn’t been a good couple weeks for cloud computing, causing Dave Raffo to wonder if it’s raining on the cloud storage parade.
6. Carl Brooks knows cloud, so his excitement is a good sign for others planning to use the IBM Smart Business Cloud – Enterprise.
7. Were you one of the lucky ones to receive an invitation to join VMware Fusion 4’s beta testing?
8. If you were at VMworld Europe 2009 in Cannes, this may look familiar to you. For the rest of us, Colin Steele introduces PXE Manager for vCenter: VMware’s latest fling.
9. Whether you’re a recent graduate or a well-seasoned IT professional, it’s always a good idea to keep an eye on emerging career fields like these five IT career ideas from IBM Executive Bruce Douglass.
10. Mrdenny picks SQL-related questions from the forums to answer in his blog. This week: “We get many warnings in our SQL error log about I/O requests taking longer than 15 seconds to complete. What do we do in such a scenario?”