1. Using RAID 5 with 3-18.2 GB Harddrives, what disk space is available?, which was asked by BamaNo1 and answered by MrDenny and MikeZ.
2. Wireless Routers with Static DHCP settings?, which was asked via e-mail and answered by Yeahboy.
3. Security of MAC-based wireless access permissions, which was asked by a reader and answered by Greglynn.
4. Date calculation incorrect in SQL when +1 month entered, which was asked by JohnsonMumbai and answered by TomLiotta.
5. Detecting WireShark and other sniffers in your wireless network?, which was asked via e-mail and answered by Labnuke99. Continued »
1. “Father of Java” James Gosling on Oracle-Sun by Mike Pontacoloni for Storage Soup
2. 10 Skills to make a perfect Project Manager by Jaideep on Quality Assurance and Project Management
3. Microsoft OCS 2010 Will Eliminate PBXby Tony Bradley for Unified Communications: Click To Talk
4. The Value of the VCP (VMware Certified Professional) by Joseph Foran for SearchServerVirtualization Blog
5. FISMA overhaul under way by Michael Mimoso for Security Bytes
6. Three ways to kill a frozen vSphere ESXi host virtual machine by Eric Siebert for Virtualization Pro
7. Using USB device filters with Sun xVM VirtualBox by Rick Vanover for SearchServerVirtualization Blog
8. Master’s guide to VMware Fault Tolerance by Eric Siebert for Virtualization Pro
9. Sources: Symantec dumping Veritas file system development team by Beth Pariseau for Storage Soup
10. How to configure DHCP Snooping in a Cisco Catalyst Switches. by Yasir Irfan for Network technologies and Trends
Here are the most-watched questions on IT Knowledge Exchange this week:
1. IPV6 CIDR notation, asked via e-mail and answered by Labnuke99
2. SQL Table Layout, asked by Philsal and answered by Meandyou and Carlosdl.
3. Active Directory Domain Services offline domain, asked via e-mail and answerd by Dchat
4. create a procedure, asked by Shwetamishra and answered by Carlosdl and Rainsley
5. database querying question SQLite, asked by Kreyszig and answered by Carlosdl.
Looking to clean up that mess you call your workspace? Great! We’ve even corralled over a dozen assistants to help you get organized: Animal Clips of dubious utility!
They stick on and pop off easily, and help keep those cables where they’re supposed to be. Where did we get these truly magical and revolutionary, not to mention lovable, devices? Our good friends at CableOrganizer.com. To win your set, simply ask or answer a networking question tagged “Networking in 2010” and e-mail me at Michael@ITKnowledgeExchange.com, and I’ll randomly pick a winner from eligible entrants. Usual contest rules apply.
It would also be awesome if you’d be willing to send us a quick picture of how you ended up using the clips: Here’s one from our office of a platypussaurus noshing on my phone line:
So what are you waiting for? Ask a question now!
1. “Father of Java” James Gosling on Oracle-Sun by Mike Pontacoloni on SOA Talk
2. Sources: Symantec dumping Veritas file system development team by Beth Pariseau on Storage Soup.
3. Oracle’s Purdy talks Java, C++, and JDK 7 by Mike Pontacoloni on SOA Talk.
4. Plagiarism, Inspiration, and John Dunleavy by Denny Cherry on SQL Server with Mr. Denny
5. Java Symposium keynote video – Red Hat’s Bob McWhirter on cloud in application delivery by Rob Barry on SOA Talk.
Upcoming Live Expert Chat: The A to Z of Desktop Virtualization with Microsoft – Learn How to Enable Faster Windows 7, Application Deployment and maintenance and Much More
On Tuesday, March 23rd, come meet Microsoft experts Max Hermann and Niamh Coleman live on IT Knowledge Exchange for a chat about Desktop Virtualization and how your company can benefit from deploying these technologies.
This is a unique opportunity to speak one-on-one with Microsoft Product Experts and answer all your questions about Desktop Virtualization. Find out if it will save you money and add flexibility. If you’d like to post your questions in advance, visit the chat page and leave it in the comments section.
Don’t Forget!! Sign up for an e-reminder to be e-mailed on the day of the event. We look forward to joining Max and Niamh on the 23rd, and hope to see you there.
1. A member asks how they can apply GPOs to non-domain computers to make sure they don’t get on the corporate domain, and MrDenny, Technochic, Denwood, and SiThu help with a solution.
2. A member asks about business intelligence in a cloud environment, and MrDenny provides h>storing encrypted files on is input.
3. A SQL Server reader asks how to monitor log files in SQL Server 2000 database and MrDenny responds.
4. A Data Center reader asks about recommended temperature and humidity ranges for a data center. Mattmclain, Aquacer0, MrDenny, and WhatIs23 all provide input.
5. A Data Center reader asks about keeping a UPS cool, and XENOPHON22 and Dave MC offer their thoughts.
6. A SQL Server reader asks about CPU and RAM recommendations for a data warehouse, and MrDenny answers.
7. A SQL Server reader asks for help looping through a database, and MrDenny offers some advice.
8. A SQL Server reader asks about merging MDF files, and MrDenny helps out.
9. Yet another SQL Server reader asks about removing and adding new space to databases, and Mrdenny naturally answers, with Gent01 chipping in.
10. Gent01 and MrDenny team up again to answer a SQL question on storing encrypted files on SQL Server 2000.
Over the past couple of years, I’ve spent my days learning from the IT Knowledge Exchange community, and getting to know many of the members not only professionally, but gaining an insight into your accomplishments, frustrations and hopes for the future. Today will be my last day as your community manager, and it’s a bittersweet day.
While I’m excited for my new opportunity outside of IT Knowledge Exchange, I would be remiss if I didn’t say how much I’ve appreciated you letting me participate, and even more importantly, letting me listen. It has been a privilege and a pleasure to serve this community, and I wish every one of you the best of luck in your future endeavors.
1. A member asked how to run a comparison of VMware ESX configurations, but no one answered yet!
2. Sreedharsura is trying to install Windows Server 2000 or 2003 on Compaq Presario, but runs into problems. Fortunately, a host of ITKE pros offer to help out, lead by Karthikselvam.
3. TechTarget’s SearchSecurityMidmarket team recently asked if encryption was an “unapproachable” subject,” and LabNuke99, XENOPHON99, KevinBeaver, and A5hley all offered their thoughts.
4. Kevcorbett asked for advice on linking Microsoft Exchange 2010 to Domino. Any suggestions? It’s currently unanswered!
5. A member asks about L2 versus L3 on your WAN, and YasirIrfan provides advice.
6. A member asks whether Active Directory Domain trusts and AD sites can be managed using ADAC, but 123456 has to break some bad news.
7. A member asks if you’ve switched from Parallels to VMware Fusion, but no one has answered yet.
8. Kar asks about the difference between Procedure & Subprocedure, and TomLiotta, Philpl1jb and Littlepd all help explain.
10. Rajq has a question about SQL Server, and MrDenny hits him with his best shot.
The final counts are in, and with the help of Random.org, we’ve drawn the winner for our Google Nexus One Challenge. Congratulations, OwenAmbrose, you’ll be receiving a Nexus One smartphone courtesy of IT Knowledge Exchange!
All of our members in the Top 10 put forth a stellar effort, and we’d like to congratulate them on making it to the final drawing:
Thank you to all the participants, and congratulations again to OwenAmbrose!