I have been fighting with this issue for 2 days and I am going crazy.
We have 2 domain controllers, 1 on-site and 1 off-site as a backup.
Last week I configured a windows firewall group policy object to open: file and printer sharing, remote access, disable remote desktop, open ICMP for the subnet, allow local port exceptions, allow local program exceptions, allow UPnP framework, enabled protect all network connections, disabled prohibit broadcast, disabled do not allow exceptions and also opened some ports for our antivirus and microsoft office programs.
Luckily this group policy was deployed on 2 test pcs and on no others.
Both of my test computers are Windows XP Pro server Pack 2 and both lost their connection with the network after I applied this policy. Attempting to remove the policy does not work since the pcs are refusing to see domain controller at all in order to get this update.
I tried to remove one of the computers from the domain so that it's group policies would revert back to local policy and remove the firewall which I thought would at least allow me to connect, but it still could not find the domain controller and was still not able to connect to the internet. I restored the settings to an earlier date and the pcs settings are back to when it was part of the domain, but I still cannot access the internet and cannot access any network resources.
My 2 pcs are connected with another pc via a small dLink 8 port 10/100 ethernet switch and then to a lattishub in our com room. I have tried connecting them directly to the wall since my 3rd pc which is not a test pc can connect just fine.
I have tried ipconfig /release and renew and it seems to be able to renew it's iP address and information without a problem, but will still not recognize the domain controller nor browse the internet.
The computer will state that it is "Offiline" from the domain controller even when it has an active connection.
I have also tried flushing the dns, registering the dns, and resetting the TCP/IP settings via netsh. I can ping the control pc that is not a test pc from each test pc and can connect via ultravnc to each test pc from my control pc. I cannot ping the domain controller or any other pcs on the network.
I can't believe configuring windows firewall to actually "open" up some ports would cause both of the pcs to not have any connection whatsoever.
None of the other computers in our network are having this problem including the other xp pro sp2 pc that is sitting at my desk and using the same link.
The network adapters are onboard ethernet adapters so I have no tried using another NIC yet. I am trying to narrow down all software causes first since I know it was specifically related to updated the group policy and taking on the firewall configurations.
Thanks for your help!
Free Guide: Managing storage for virtual environments
Complete a brief survey to get a complimentary 70-page whitepaper featuring the best methods and solutions for your virtual environment, as well as hypervisor-specific management advice from TechTarget experts. Don’t miss out on this exclusive content!