I'm trying to use Windows RMS with Office 2003 and 2007 clients and it's not working. For bit more background: I got this working without any issues about 2 years ago. At that time we decided that it was a good feature, but we never wanted to protect documents until now. Now I tried to restrict the rights on a Word document, and I found out that it's not working any longer. I'm not sure when this stopped working or why.
In Word 2003 when I create a new document and go to:
File->Permission->Restrict Permission As...
"Unexpected error has occurred. Please try again later or contact your administrator" ... this is a error dialog box with the standard red x icon.
So far I've tried the following to fix it:
- Reinstalled Windows Rights Management Client SP2
- Rebooted the workstation
- Rebooted the server
- Tried on different workstations
- Tried on Office 2007 on the same domain.
- Similar problem, In office 2007 I don't even get the "restrict permission" button even though my RMS client SP2 is installed. I had to add the button by customizing the toolbar but it's always greyed out.
- When I logged into my administration site, it told me that my "server licensor certificate" expired and that I can click renew button below to renew it. I did that and now my certificate expiration date is in 2011. The clients still don't work.
I've done the following diagnostic tests:
- RMS Toolkit's GetRMSCP.exe: serviceBindingInformation: http://serve01/_wmcs/Certification distinguishedName: CN=SCP,CN=RightsManagementServices,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=XXXInc,DC=local
- Confirmed that I can open up http://serve01/_wmcs/Certification/ in web browser on the workstations.
- RMS toolkit's IRMCheck.exe shows: Success all across the board with the exception of "9. User certificates WARNING No user certificates found".
- RM Activation Service: http://serve01/_wmcs/Certification: tested accessible
- RM Certification Service: http://serve01/_wmcs/Certification: tested accessible
- RM Online Publishing Service: http://serve01/_wmcs/licensing: tested accessible
- RM Client Enrollment Service http://serve01/_wmcs/licensing: tested accessible
According to some 3rd party docs I found, there should be some kind of RAC and CLC files saved to %userprofile%/local settings/application data/microsoft/drm. The folder is there, but it's empty (even with show hidden and show system files options)
Server Environment: Windows SBS 2003, , RMS 1.0 SP2
Workstation Environment: Office 2003 and Office 2007, RMS client SP2, Windows XP SP3
March 17, 2010 7:36 PM
August 20, 2013 1:14 PM