– Unix is more flexible and can be installed on many different types of machines, including main-frame computers, supercomputers and micro-computers.
– Unix is more stable and does not go down as often as Windows does, therefore requires less administration and maintenance.
– Unix has greater built-in security and permissions features than Windows.
– Unix possesses much greater processing power than Windows.
– Unix is the leader in serving the Web. About 90% of the Internet relies on Unix operating systems running on Apache, the world’s most widely used Web server, which is free.
Remember, no one single type of operating system can offer universal answers to all your computing needs. It is about having choices and making educated decisions.
BobKberg adds: One other key approach is to find the software you need, and then choose the operating system on which it runs – or runs best.