Hello, I have a problem that's been stumping me for a while and so I'm reaching for some help. I have this problem at two totally different sites. They're both small (one with 5 people, one with 13), they both use a Dell Poweredge T310 server running 2008 R2, and they both have a mix of Windows 7 x64 and Windows XP clients machines.
The problem they run into is that seemingly randomly throughout the day, users will have either disconnects or hangups when using the server. As examples, Outlook (with PSTs stored on the server) will hang, database applications with the database stored on the server will hang, and pretty much any apps (Word, Excel, Autocad, Solidworks) running with files open from the server will hang, or complain that a network connection was lost. The network connection doesn't seem to actually drop; they're able to open the files again immediately, and there's no event log errors anywhere regarding a dropped network connection, or any other indication that a connection dropped other than an error message from the application.
I've tried many things. At first I was feeling like it was a physical issue, so I replaced the NICs on the servers (Broadcom to Intel NICs) with no change. We tested all network runs. We tried a different NIC from workstations, no change (just slower, since the new NIC was a wireless card).
I've done a lot of testing, and now it appears the problem only happens with Windows 7. At both sites the Windows 7 systems are x64, so I'm not sure yet if it will happen with x32. Windows XP mode from 7 also shares the problems with its Windows 7 host, which isn't completely surprising.
I've tried a bunch of stuff (disabling autotuning, TCP chimney and such) but I'd like to know what you all might recommend trying. Thanks!
Software/Hardware used: Windows Server 2008 R2 on Dell Poweredge T310