I was offered a solutions architect position a few months ago, and these were the main responsabilities for the position:
The main responsibility is to ensure that all deliveries to customers, which also include documents, solution proposals, offers etc, are made in a professional way from a solution point of view, all in order to get satisfied customers and secure profitability for the enterprise.
The responsibilities are described as:
• Supporting the market and sales organization as an expert in the solution portfolio.
• Together with the CPM identify scope and cost estimation;
• Take a technical lead in the execution phase of customer projects;
• Define, manage and verify solutions in customer projects, including handling and management of third party products and suppliers.
• Identify new and add-on business opportunities.
Sales & Pre-sales support
Analyze customer Situation
Design Customer Solutions
Deliver Customer Solution
This may change from company to company, but this should at least give you an idea.