See Symantec Support document explaining below:
Document ID: 311188
http://support.veritas.com/docs/311188 E-Mail this document to a colleague
Vmware ESX 3.5 backup fails with error ” Final error: 0xe000955b – Cannot run the Vmware VCB command ‘vcbmounter.exe’. Ensure that the Vmware VCB framework is installed” using BEWS 12.5
Exact Error Message
Final error: 0xe000955b – Cannot run the VMware VCB command ‘vcbmounter.exe’. Ensure that the VMware VCB framework is installed
1. VCB components are not installed on the server where temporary mount of Virtual Machine Images will take place.
2. This can also occur if VCB is previously configured to perform Off-host Backup using BEWS 12.0.1364 or below.
3. If the proxy server is not rebooted after installing the VCB.
4. The Logon Account has insufficient permissions on the Virtual Center server.
5. This can also occur if VCB proxy server is configured on Windows server 2008.
Vmware Consolidated Backup (VCB) enables virtual machine to be backed up from centralized Microsoft Windows Server as VCB proxy server rather then directly from the Vmware ESX server.
In order to successfully backup the VM using the BEWS 12.5, VCB components needs to be installed on the server which is configured to be VCB proxy server.
This option can be seen in the Job properties as shown in Figure 1.
If VCB is previously configured with older Backup Exec versions to perform Off-host backup , then
1. Uninstall the VCB and reboot the server.
2. Reinstall VCB and perform the backups again.
Another reason for this error is that “the proxy server is not rebooted after installing the VCB”. A reboot is necessary for Backup Exec to use it.
Also, if the VCB Proxy server is a remote computer, and this remote VCB proxy server was not specified in the backup job (the backup job defaults to the local computer) then this error occurs. To resolve this error, edit the backup job and select the remote VCB proxy.
Ensure the account used for ESX Server backup has enough permissions to backup Virtual Center server or ESX server. Try using a different Domain Admin account to resolve the issue.
Consolidated Backup offers experimental support of Windows Server 2008 on a physical or virtual proxy. Ensure proxy server is running on supported Operating system.
Note: To know more about Vmware Consolidated Backup
Please refer to http://www.vmware.com/products/vi/consolidated_backup.html