One of our customers has Small Business Server 2000 and ISA 2000 installed. They have access to the Internet and network resources work ok. DHCP is assigned via the server and all DNS tests show as passed with no errors in the event log either.
The server has 2 network cards for both internal and external connections.
The broadband router is attached directly to the external card.
The internal NIC has the following settings:-
IP OF NIC -192.168.16.2
SUBNET - 255.255.255.0
DNS - 192.168.16.2
The external NIC has the following settings:-
IP OF NIC - 184.108.40.206
SUBNET - 255.255.255.248
DEFAULT GATEWAY - 220.127.116.11
DNS - 192.168.16.2
When configuring the internet connection wizard in SBS2000, we have obviously input the DNS settings provided by the ISP which shows on the 'forwarders' tab in the DNS console as they should. DHCP is disabled on the router.
However, we have never been able to log into the router remotely, or directly from the server. We connected the router directly to a laptop (which we gave a static ip address) and were able to log into the router. When we connected the router back to the server, we can ping the router but not log in. But, after a short time we are unable to ping the router from the server.
We have checked and double-checked router settings and believe all is as should be.
We think it may be to do with the ISA firewall, particularly as the web browser page when logging into the router from the server shows 'The page cannot be displayed' and 'HTTP 502 Proxy Error - Host is unreachable. For more information about this event, see ISA Server Help. (10065).'
If we set the laptop to obtain an ip address automatically, it gets assigned an ip address, we think is from the router which begins with 81.x.x.x We can't understand this as we have disabled DHCP on the router! There is no problem adding PCs to the network.
Finally, whether this is relevant or not. If we do a simple query test in the DNS console and a recursive query test, they both fail. Yet, DNS tests in a command prompt via dcdiag and netdiag, and the event log all show up ok.
Many thanks to all who took their time to read and understand our issue.